Thread: Flat floor on large areas??

Flat floor on large areas??

Fiber laser
    20w

material is stainless, maybe a 316.. not totally sure

I am engraving some police badges into some firearm slides and the badge has a few large areas of cut depth. The problem I am having is that my floor is rough textured. The depth is good.. just a rough floor.

Settings are 1750mm/s
    35hz
    100% power

The fill is spaced at .01 with a 35 degree rotation.

In aluminum, I get a really good floor this way, but in the stainless I get vertical "striations".

are you X-hatching or single?

Try running some X-hatch clean-up passes at say, .04mm hatch spacing 500mm/s, 70% power and 60khz. Maybe up the power if you think it'll help. The slower speed/higher freq may help flatten the bottom a bit...

This isn't SS but I got a nice lightly mottled bottom on this engraving-
    fer1.jpg

If need be, go with the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' method --
    pheart.jpg
    -this isn't very deep, but for this X-hatching wasn't looking good so I just ran a one-direction 0 degree .1mm hatch until it DID look good- came out looking like corduroy, customer was very happy
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev..

Please correct me.. I ASSUMED that by rotating the fill, that would generate a crosshatch..

Also.. why are you suggesting a larger spacing (of .04) on the crosshatch. Honestly, this is a thing I've had issues with understanding fully. It seems to me that a thinner spacing means you remove more lines of material per pass. So.. IN THEORY a narrower path = better surface quality at the sacrifice of more time spent to cut.

Equally.. again, please correct me.. I ASSUMED that a faster scan rate would (in theory) reduce effectivene power thereby getting the same effect. Though, obviously, reducing the power does this too...

You need to assume heat as well, the slower you go the more heat exposure you have. Filling is a odd variable, a smaller fill can be better for engraving depending on material. Your current fill is very small, i usuaully start at .002inches with a Crossline fill. Multiple passes at a faster speed along with an accompanying cleaning (fast, lower power) pass each time can be more effective. The rotation helps so not produce a grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Jackson View Post
    Thanks Kev..

Please correct me.. I ASSUMED that by rotating the fill, that would generate a crosshatch..

Also.. why are you suggesting a larger spacing (of .04) on the crosshatch. Honestly, this is a thing I've had issues with understanding fully. It seems to me that a thinner spacing means you remove more lines of material per pass. So.. IN THEORY a narrower path = better surface quality at the sacrifice of more time spent to cut.

Equally.. again, please correct me.. I ASSUMED that a faster scan rate would (in theory) reduce effectivene power thereby getting the same effect. Though, obviously, reducing the power does this too...