Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shaper cutter for painted cabinet doors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I kind of figured that was what they were talking about. when someone said that their shaper cutter set had the paint break worked into the profile. But,you never know.
    I always learn new things here that I can apply.
    Yep- no point in guessing when you can get the straight poop right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Okay, I know that someone always to ask the dumb question. So here goes;
    What is a paint break?
    Go look at commodity home center cabs. They are most always assembled post-finish. The sticking is all complete pre-fin, panels are pre-fin, large radi' at the panel to sticking, There is a dark joint at the rail/stile striaght out of the box, for a reason. They have taken a cue from the NYW workshop of trying to hide a joint or celebrate the joint. Again, they control the offering and their customers buy it all day long accepting it as normal. There is rarely a display in the homecenter that I dont walk by that doesnt look like plastic cut and hot glued together.

I can drive a stake in the ground all I want looking for the last few stragglers who dont want that, or just walk away from residential boxes as a whole. You can have all the disclaimers you want and you as the maker will be held to a standard that the big boxes will get away with every day of the week. You could provide mockups, time tested mockups showing celebrated joints, and they would get a pass and you will be held to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The whole point of a frame and panel door is to allow the panel to move independently of the frame. Having the panels look painted in is very unnatural and contrary to the design of the system. Absence of cracks around the panel screams "fake".

If I were making a painted cabinet I'd paint the panel and frame separately prior to assembly to allow the panel to move without exposing bare wood or making uneven cracks.
    We're talking about the rail/stile joint where the crossgrain usually ends up showing a hairline crack. This is separate from the whole panel movement issue, though your points are well taken.
    JR

Oops-- someday I'll learn to read more carefully!

knowing all of this before will save trouble no matter how you end up choosing to go. Thanks again my fellow woodworkers for the info/power!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    classic lowell, lol.
    JR