Thread: Bandsaw circle jig

Bandsaw circle jig

Hi all,
    Looking for ideas on a bandsaw circle jig. Ready, go!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Haugle View Post
    Hi all,
    Looking for ideas on a bandsaw circle jig. Ready, go!
    Check out this thread

The key to getting perfect circles is to make the pivot point exactly even with where the teeth are actually cutting. You need to insure you have some adjustment back and forth along the cut line to get the setting perfect. Otherwise the lade will tend to try to cut a spiral.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-19-2019 at 1:08 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Go over to YouTube and put Bandsaw Circle Cutting Jig in the search field, then make your choice from the 50 or so videos that come up.

You will find some very good ones there.

Here’s one I made a couple years ago. Was going to add a sliding scale but never got around to it.
    6030A84F-B731-42A1-A571-B5F6BBDE4746.jpg CF41BA86-A224-48BB-95F5-FEB972F8FCF7.jpg
    Works Ok? Yup, could I make a better one? Sure but I can rough here and get more accuracy by taking the circles this makes over to the router table
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry about the upside down, boy that post is a mess

Blog Entries
    Similar to others. A platform, a track and a rider that secures. I used a set-screw to fix the position. I threaded a hole and spin in a sharpened piece of threaded stock as a pivot. I allowed for a large pivot for large pieces (1/4 x 20) and a small pivot for more delicate work.

a-BS Circ Jig v2 track.jpg . b-BS Circ Jig v2 stop.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Any particular reason it has to be a circle jig on the band saw? If the work piece is under say and inch or two Id say router jigs are much easier to use and setup IMO. Though they can be costly if you want to get fancy. Which I found to be worth the cost!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If you don't want to make one, Carter Bandsaw sells one that is good and also has a separate attachment that works for cutting out bowl blanks if you're a turner. I would agree, though, that there are probably many jigs on the internet that are fairly easy to make and work just as well or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Any particular reason it has to be a circle jig on the band saw? If the work piece is under say and inch or two Id say router jigs are much easier to use and setup IMO. Though they can be costly if you want to get fancy. Which I found to be worth the cost!
    I find that circle cutting with routers tends to blow out the material when you get to the "poles". Also, the bandsaw is much less grueling of a tool to cut with.

Blog Entries
    A 24"X 18"x 1/2" thk. plywood disk with a vertical nail in the center (or wood dowel) will do the job. Clamp it to the saw table.