Thread: Northwood Shaper vs. Smaller Shaper

Northwood Shaper vs. Smaller Shaper

I have an opportunity to purchase a Northwood shaper at a reasonable price. It would have to replace my smaller shaper primarily because of space constraints. The Northwood has an 1 1/4 spindle compared to the 1/4" and 1/2" on the Jet. I seldom use a shaper but the Northwood is hard to pass up because of its build quality. Does the transition make sense? I was also thinking of adding a router table to my table saw extension, which would allow the use of the smaller, more economical and available router bits.

Blog Entries
    Assuming the northwood is a typical 5hp+ import shaper, then I'd say yes. You will also want a feeder.

But I prefer shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Assuming the northwood is a typical 5hp+ import shaper, then I'd say yes. You will also want a feeder.

But I prefer shapers
    Yes, it's 5hp and made in Taiwan. And I forgot to mention it does come with a feeder. Is $500 a fair price for it?

Blog Entries
    Yes. Assuming it's a 511 style and not a pm26/delta HD clone it's a great price.

It's exactly like this one without the side mounted electrical box. The motor is 240V single phase.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 09-18-2019 at 5:30 PM.

With a feeder that's a very fair price if it's in good nick. Go for it!

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Great price! You might want to check if 3/4” and 1” spindles are available for it.

Check to see if there is a router spindle made for that machine. The current version has an optional 3/4 collet spindle. And several other spindle sizes including 1 and 3/4 inch. I did not see 1/2?
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-18-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Check to see if there is a router spindle made for that machine. The current version has an opotional 3/4 collet spindle. And several other spindle sizes including 1 and 3/4 inch. I did not see 1/2?
    Bil lD
    Current version? I didn't know these were still made. Any link to it on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Current version? I didn't know these were still made. Any link to it on the internet?
    I do not think any of this is really related to the original Northfield machines made in the USA.
    Did their factory and all casting patterns burn in a big fire or was that maybe Crescent?
    Bill D

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...production.htm

Northfield is still making woodworking tools here in minnesota. And no they are not related

That is an excellent price even without a powerfeed. For the weight, it is a much more solid machine than a Delta "heavy duty" or Powermatic 27 as it has a solid one piece spindle extending through the cartridge. Be aware that it has limited height adjustment (1 9/16"). I mounted an extension table with an inverted router on the back of mine so they can share the powerfeed.

DSCN0629[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    That is an excellent price even without a powerfeed. For the weight, it is a much more solid machine than a Delta "heavy duty" or Powermatic 27 as it has a solid one piece spindle extending through the cartridge. Be aware that it has limited height adjustment (1 9/16"). I mounted an extension table with an inverted router on the back of mine so they can share the powerfeed.

DSCN0629[1].jpg
    Excellent idea on the router extension! What table did you use?

I used a Unisaw side table that became surplus when I added an Excalibur crosscut table. I mounted it to the shaper with a 4" c-channel standoff to give the powerfeeed enough room to work. If I could find a router spindle for the shaper I would ditch the add-on for space reasons, but I don't know of a source.

Quote Originally Posted by ray grundhoefer View Post
    Northfield is still making woodworking tools here in minnesota. And no they are not related
    They fooled me with the name. I am sure it is intentional just like Horror Fright does with their invented names. The taper on the spindles may be the same? They look like a Morse taper to me. Do they have threads on the end for a draw bar?
    T