Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Shop Dehumidifier

Jim, "sometimes" you can get an HVAC person who "moonlights" to do the charging of the system as part of the final installation. The physical installation is pretty darn easy. There is also a brand called "Mr Cool" I believe that comes pre-charged for customer install...but you only get one chance to do it right because once you open the valves, you're committed. Any issues or leaks, you need someone with the correct equipment and knowledge to take care of things. For mine, I worked a "deal" with the HVAC company I've used for years...the owners are friends at this point..and I did all the prep work and electrical so their installer only need to a couple of hours to do the final steps at a greatly reduced cost. They also gave me a very good price for the unit since I'm a regular customer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

April Wilkerson did a YouTube video on installing mini-split heat pumps in her shop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyD-LucjdcQ
    She did a second video on installing one in a single room garage conversion into a guest house. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHkJbU1NGMg

Charley

Like everybody, my dehumidifiers have only lasted 1-2 years. You can't repair them, and (where I live) it's hard to dispose of them.

Latest purchase was Frigidaire (from a big box store). It broke like the others, but (unlike the others) they honored their warranty. Keep your receipts, (source & date of purchase). I had to send proof that it was permanently out (photo with electrical plug cut off) and their form with a sticker taken off the unit (scanned to a file I sent with the photo). Everything was handled by e-mail (one hour), and new unit received in 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    Like everybody, my dehumidifiers have only lasted 1-2 years. You can't repair them, and (where I live) it's hard to dispose of them.

Latest purchase was Frigidaire (from a big box store). It broke like the others, but (unlike the others) they honored their warranty. Keep your receipts, (source & date of purchase). I had to send proof that it was permanently out (photo with electrical plug cut off) and their form with a sticker taken off the unit (scanned to a file I sent with the photo). Everything was handled by e-mail (one hour), and new unit received in 3 days.
    I use Friedrich dehumidifiers, and you _can_ repair them (parts are available.) The fan bearings are usually the first to go. Cheap communist simulated bearing product. I'd been meaning to write this up.