Thread: WHat are these that came with my lathe

WHat are these that came with my lathe

I just scored a deal on a barely used Powermatic 3520B that is 3yrs old for $2500. These were found in the storage compartment on the tailstock. Unfortunately I can't ask the previous owner as he passed away shortly after buying the lathe. His father who sold me the lathe had no idea what they are for as he's a flat woodworker not a turner.

They measure about 7" long overall and the shafts are straight not morse taper. The shafts are 3/4" and the heads are just slightly under 1". As you can see the "spur drive" has four holes about 1/4" diameter and 1/4" deep. the "dead center" has a flat area factory milled along the whole length.

Thanks
    Ricc

spur drive_live ctr.jpg

These go in the holes on the comparator rear bracket. They are used to hold a spindle you were trying to duplicate See pages 16-17 of the manual. If you don’t have the manual just google Powermatic 3520b manual. It will come right up.
    Don

Thanks Don! Appreciate the help. Didn’t have a manual and only skimmed the one online and missed seeing them.

Ricc

Congrats on your new lathe!! Glad to see that the seller decided you could give it a good home! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve! It was an emotional sale for the father. The son passed away unexpectedly a day before his 40th birthday. He had only turned 3 bowls. One was still on the lathe half done. The father decided at 77 that he would not get around to learning to turn. I offered to have him come to my place and I would help him finish the bowl. But, the mutual friend who told me about the lathe said his friend the father would never do it. The mutual friend is going to finish the bowl and give it to the parents.