Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone plane UHMW polyethylene? Gotchas to watch for before I start?

[QUOTE=Justin Meyer;2952757]I'm really surprised one can effectively sand UHMW PE, I rather assumed it would clog up the abrasive in very short order.

How right you are! I made a mess of the paper on my disk sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    I've routed and edge sanded it. Like Peter, I found it to be really stringy.

For planing how about this - Leave it long to deal with snipe / Glue it to a stable piece of lumber - Maybe in a wide dado / Then run through the planer
    I've never done it but if I were to try, the snug fit dado seems like what I'd try. Maybe piece of ply with 1/4" thick strips forming the dado glued to the base piece.

So, hand planing UHMW PE worked, but was a bit tricky. I had to take almost 0.020" shavings to reliably get a "bite" on the material. Clamped the material from the back so it was in tension, and it still tried to wander a little. Blade was sharp, so my technique is off (one edge about 0.020" thicker than the other after 5 passes), but the result more than acceptable.

IMG_20191007_183617_1024px.jpg

I notched the pieces on the table saw, sprayed the blade and cabinet interior with Static Guard, which worked great!

IMG_20191007_193452_1024px.jpg

Only needed to plane one strip of PE, if I have to do more I'll definitely try the planer...probably with a sled or at least a piece of melamine over the tables.

Thanks for following-up with us Justin. I always appreciate hearing how the advice here works out.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I do not know why people insist on gluing sacrificial wood strips longer at each end to reduce snipe. Just shove the loose boards in along with the good wood but start them a few inches before the good wood. Of course gluing does reduce the handling time at the planer but the extra time for glueup and edge jointing the sacrificial wood seems like more work to me..If you are really planning 20 foot pieces, remember you only need the sacrificial piece at each end nothing needed in the middle of the cut.
    Bill D

I'm in the process of rebuilding my last wooden structure on the property to fire harden it and will be using some Azek corner boards for the trim over the hard siding. I will have to do some work on the Sawstop. I was really surprised how the UHMW shavings wadded up on the saws lower blade guard. I will run to the store this am for some static guard and try it.
    Timing is everything. while writing this I got a call from PG&E. They are turning the power off in about an hour. The last three have been 2-2.5 days. No rush I guess. The Generac should be here this week. Ah, the joy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do not know why people insist on gluing sacrificial wood strips longer at each end to reduce snipe. Just shove the loose boards in along with the good wood but start them a few inches before the good wood. Of course gluing does reduce the handling time at the planer but the extra time for glueup and edge jointing the sacrificial wood seems like more work to me..If you are really planning 20 foot pieces, remember you only need the sacrificial piece at each end nothing needed in the middle of the cut.
    Bill D
    That works until the loose boards skew, slip, feed at a slightly different rate than the others. This is especially true if you dont have segmented feed rolls. Its why most planers without segmented feed rolls state never to feed multiple boards at the same time/ganged even though most all of us do it. But the few slightly thinner boards in the stack, or an errant chip(s) get between a board and a non-segmented feed roll and other parts will stop feeding/slip/skew or fly back if your planer doesnt have anti-kickback pawls. Beyond that it can become a juggling act if things dont feed perfectly.

I never bother with either and just leave parts long. A planer is a roughing tool not a finishing tool. You just have to plan for a few inches of possible waste.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 10-29-2019 at 2:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Same experience as Mark.

Accurate jointing greatly reduces and can eliminate snipe. If a board is flat against the bed it doesn’t flop up into the cutter and snipe.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Same experience as Mark.

Accurate jointing greatly reduces and can eliminate snipe. If a board is flat against the bed it doesn’t flop up into the cutter and snipe.
    Ive beat this drum for years to no avail but in my experience most all chased snipe, other than someone just learning/starting out letting the board drop on in and out feed, is actually caused by mechanical slop/flexure in the planer head itself. I have tried this even with planers up to like a 15" 4 post import with thick stock. You can lift up on the end of the material enough to literally have the outfeed end of the machine off the table/floor, and if there is slop in the head (the planer head walks/racks up on to, and off of, the part) you will get snipe. No amount of in-feed or outfeed support will make it go a way. Of course if its a support issue thats easy, but often times even with way more support than necessary it will still be there. Its mechanical slop in the assembly even when engagning post locks.

I had a friend with a 15" 4 post planer that would snipe and one time he was planing 6/4 material and he lifted the outfeed end enough to see the edge of the planer up-weight off the floor as it was coming out and there was still snipe. Locking the post locks helps, but it was still measurable.

If every inch of the material is absolutely needed/valuable, adding sacrificial material to the part or a hand plane would be a better option in my opinion.