Thread: Excalibur 40-200 Deluxe Router Table

Excalibur 40-200 Deluxe Router Table

I have had alot of life changing event happen over the last year that has taken me away from woodworking. As things are now settling down and I am able to get back into the hobby I started looking for a router table and while searching through my local craigslist ad and came across a Excalibur 40-200 Deluxe Router Table. I have looked in alot of different places and just cant seem to find alot of material on this set up that is not from the manufacture. Here on the forum I can only find an article or two that talks about this product.

If anyone has any knowledge on this product please pass it my way. The table need alot of cleaning, so my next step is to tear it down and clean everything to make it look as close to new as possible. I will post some pictures of everything in the next couple days when I get more time.

This seemed to be a really good find based on price I decided to go ahead and purchase it, it came with a bunch of extras so even if the router table turned out to be a bust the extras would cover my expense.

This is what was included with purchase:
    Excalibur 40-200 Deluxe Router Table
    Working router (Port A Mate PM-P254)
    Freud 12-128 bit (new)
    Freud 22-112 bit (new)
    Freud 22-115 bit (new)
    Freud 32-524 bit (new)
    Freud 34-124 bit (new)
    Freud 80-104 bit (new)
    Freud 80-122 bit (new)
    Freud 99-760 bit (new)
    Plus about 10 other various bits (used)

Total cost = A steal @ $160 (based on internet prices)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Blighton; 09-18-2019 at 5:08 PM. Reason: adding picture

If it's flat and not pitted, you got a great deal on that table. If it came with the lift, and the lift is functional--it may be the best deal you ever get. The plate opening is a standard 11 3/4" x 9 1/4" which is a readily available size. Great price for a cast iron table.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    If it's flat and not pitted, you got a great deal on that table. If it came with the lift, and the lift is functional--it may be the best deal you ever get. The plate opening is a standard 11 3/4" x 9 1/4" which is a readily available size. Great price for a cast iron table.
    The table top doesn't look pitted and most of the rust looks like superficial surface rust, will know for sure when I start cleaning it. As far as I can tell the set up is pretty much complete, the lift was included (along with the router that was attached) and it functions rather smoothly considering I don't think it has been used in sometime based on the rust on the table top and bits.

What should I use to tackle the rust on the table top?

So I have added some pictures

Sure looks like surface rust, that is a great deal. The router motor may be good--others may feel differently, but i'd be cautious on the possibility of rust in the chuck and definitely on the bits. The collet is really a friction fit to the bit, and the rust one either could allow the bit to creep. If they creep down, your cut is not deep enough--but if they creep up, the cut gets deep and the bit could leave the collet at 22,000 rpm!!
    Congrats on a good buy!!
    earl

I remember looking at one of those about 3-4 years ago. It was about $1000 Canadian new at that time. Great deal ,enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Sure looks like surface rust, that is a great deal. The router motor may be good--others may feel differently, but i'd be cautious on the possibility of rust in the chuck and definitely on the bits. The collet is really a friction fit to the bit, and the rust one either could allow the bit to creep. If they creep down, your cut is not deep enough--but if they creep up, the cut gets deep and the bit could leave the collet at 22,000 rpm!!
    Congrats on a good buy!!
    earl
    Thanks, I am going to start breaking it down this weekend and I will check the router for rust around the collet area, would not want the bit leaving the collet while working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I remember looking at one of those about 3-4 years ago. It was about $1000 Canadian new at that time. Great deal ,enjoy it.
    Thanks

So I partially dismantled the route table and have started the rust removal. Will add some before and after pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Blighton View Post
    I have had alot of life changing event happen over the last year that has taken me away from woodworking. As things are now settling down and I am able to get back into the hobby I started looking for a router table and while searching through my local craigslist ad and came across a Excalibur 40-200 Deluxe Router Table. I have looked in alot of different places and just cant seem to find alot of material on this set up that is not from the manufacture. Here on the forum I can only find an article or two that talks about this product.

If anyone has any knowledge on this product please pass it my way. The table need alot of cleaning, so my next step is to tear it down and clean everything to make it look as close to new as possible. I will post some pictures of everything in the next couple days when I get more time.
    That looks to be the same as the Jet/Powermatic table that I bought a few years ago, only with a different paint job (and no rust.) It's a great table and a great lift, with top-notch dust collection. You got an incredible deal on it.

My main complaint was that the "mobility solution" is simply awful, it doesn't roll well if your floor is the least bit uneven, and there was nothing I could do to fix that, so I wound up taking the wheels off and putting it on a mobile base.

I put a Porter Cable 75182 router motor in mine, which most people do.

Parts with the Jet/Powermatic unit look like they would be interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    That looks to be the same as the Jet/Powermatic table that I bought a few years ago, only with a different paint job (and no rust.) It's a great table and a great lift, with top-notch dust collection. You got an incredible deal on it.

My main complaint was that the "mobility solution" is simply awful, it doesn't roll well if your floor is the least bit uneven, and there was nothing I could do to fix that, so I wound up taking the wheels off and putting it on a mobile base.

I put a Porter Cable 75182 router motor in mine, which most people do.

Parts with the Jet/Powermatic unit look like they would be interchangeable.

Thats good to know, thanks

Blog Entries
    That is an extremely good bargain. The excalibur is probably the best lift you can buy. There are a couple of clones of it now, including one being sold by SawStop.

Crazy good price for all that even if you have to put in a little elbow grease! Good find!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That is an extremely good bargain. The excalibur is probably the best lift you can buy. There are a couple of clones of it now, including one being sold by SawStop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Crazy good price for all that even if you have to put in a little elbow grease! Good find!
    Thanks guys, Working on it now hopefully I will be able to post some updated picture tonight.

Ok so I have broken down most of the router table. I decided to try and clean this up without removing the table top from the stand.
    Here is the router table top before and after pics. it is still not blemish free but 100% better then before.
    20190922_195657.jpg
    20190924_191930.jpg

Hey Larry ,pretty sure the wood you run over it will never know the difference. Looking good!