Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue and groove cutting

Tongue and groove cutting

Does anyone have experience cutting tongue and groove joints using hand planes? What is the best and easiest tool for a beginner? I Have been looking into the lie Nielsen no48, but see Stanley makes a #48 as well. I am using 3/4 stock, and see the vintage Stanley's are for 7/8" stock, but if you reference the same face I heard it's not a huge deal, but the joint will be off center. I have seen videos of people making their own planes but I am pretty intimidated by that. Thanks for the guidance!

Been using my Stanley #45....

I have successfully used both the 45 and a LN 1/2" material thickness T&G planes. Both worked just fine, but I do preferer the LN dedicated plane. As it is a dedicated T&G plane, IMO, it should perform better than a "one tool does several things" plane at the task. I would buy a 45 able to do several tasks before I bought the LN dedicated T&G plane, but I tend to use T&G for cabinet backs and bottoms fairly regularly so I treated myself after a while.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Does anyone have experience cutting tongue and groove joints using hand planes? What is the best and easiest tool for a beginner? I Have been looking into the lie Nielsen no48, but see Stanley makes a #48 as well. I am using 3/4 stock, and see the vintage Stanley's are for 7/8" stock, but if you reference the same face I heard it's not a huge deal, but the joint will be off center. I have seen videos of people making their own planes but I am pretty intimidated by that. Thanks for the guidance!
    This is the LN #49 (1/2") ...

And Veritas Small Plow ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...SmallPlow.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks guys. Are the no 45's easy to set up? I see them listed for sale every once in a while but I never really gave much thought to buying one. Are there common parts missing from these I should look for before buying one?

No experience with the 45.

The Sargent equivalent is the 1080 (one listed for sale in the classifieds now as a matter of fact). I have a 1080, and it was a learning process getting it up and running. From what I can tell that is true for any of the combination planes.

Blog Entries
    As Derek stated, Lee Valley can help.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Pag...82,43698,75781

I have their plow plane and it works really well.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-17-2019 at 7:25 PM.

I was able to find a #45 on Craigslist for $150. It looks to be in nice shape and has a full set of cutters and a few extra. Does this look like a good deal or should I keep looking?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm. takes 2 set ups...one to plough a groove, the other to cut the tongue...
    plough plane.jpgSet up to cut the groove

Make sure the groove cutter matches the Tongue cutter
    match cutter.jpg
    make sure the skates have something to ride on, and support the match cutter. Match Cutters have their own depth stops.
    tongue.jpg
    Can be set up either to make a panel..
    stacked panels.jpg
    Or, as a corner joint..
    square corner.jpg
    Make sure the FeeBay one has the match cutters..3/16" and 1/4", AND the straight cutters to match...That $115 is about the going rate for a 45...compare to a Veritas where you also have to buy the cutters needed.....as extras.

A 3/16" Match cutter seems to work best on 3/4" thick stock....the 1/4" one is hard to get centered...then lay out where the groove needs to be, and cut that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. Are the no 45's easy to set up? I see them listed for sale every once in a while but I never really gave much thought to buying one. Are there common parts missing from these I should look for before buying one?
    I was able to find a #45 on Craigslist for $150. It looks to be in nice shape and has a full set of cutters and a few extra. Does this look like a good deal or should I keep looking?
    Jason, here is an old post of mine with some information about the Stanley #45:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....gs-to-Look-For

The post on the #45 is post #27 if you are viewing in sequential mode.

As far as pricing goes not much of my time has been used to follow tool prices lately. Check ebay for completed auctions to get an idea. The plane in your picture was made before the micro adjuster on the fence was introduced. This is always a welcome feature.

For more information on what a #45 can do look at this thread:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?121761

Post #11 is the one on using the #45.

As mentioned before, a plane or pair of planes made for a single task will likely be easier to use to accomplish a task than a plane that is made to do many tasks. So far most of my tongue and groove work has been done with a #45.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-18-2019 at 1:02 PM. Reason: Changed wording about micro adjuster
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I wonder what kind of work you are doing. I just about never use 3/4 stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    When one works Fir of the Borg, it is labeled as one by and measures three quarters.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    We mortals often use 4/4 (3/4") stock, since that is what is available in most of the US; and the next increment is 5/4 which dresses to 1" but is more expensive. I read that the large lumber producers have recently requested that the 3/4 " stock be reduced slightly in thickness for common lumber purposes..

Blog Entries
    I read that the large lumber producers have recently requested that the 3/4 " stock be reduced slightly in thickness for common lumber purposes.
    They have done it by the metrification of plywood, if it makes them a little more profit they will do it to construction lumber.

jtk

If pieces are missing I'm going to pass. I don't want to spend that kind of money on something incomplete