Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tongue and groove cutting

That "fine adjust" on the fence was not on all the 45s....just the later models....it is not a deal breaker if it isn't part of the fence....just means it is an earlier model.

Count the number of cutters included in a deal....usually the 45's "standard" package was 24 cutters. The 3/16" match cutter was an "option", the 1/4" was a Standard.

I find the all wood bodied planes..
    Attachment 416297
    This is a set of Match planes...$30 each....tend to be one size, hard to adjust, way over priced. And hard to use....and sharpen.

Note: to find a "Complete" Stanley 45 with all it's cutters ( good luck..) would mean you have about...130 different cutters, extra bases, extra depth stops...

Just look for a "Basic" 45...can always add a cutter when the need for THAT cutter arises. Some of the basic set, are rarely even used...

Thanks for the info Steven. It comes with the cutters in the pictures above plus 3 others. I think the total is like 21 if I counted properly. It is an early plane, like 1910-1914. It comes with a metal box as well with really old Stanley stickers. Not sure if it's original, but different from the other ones I have seen

Jason,

I have the identical plane also in the tin box. From what I see, your plane is only missing two parts. One is the little wood handled screwdriver which is almost always missing but certainly not a deal breaker. The other which I don't see is the slitter. It may be on the plane and again, don't know anyone who actually uses the slitter cutter.

Personally, I think a plane in that condition is full retail. I'd offer $110 and go to $125. I recently bought the one I'm describing at a tool meet for $175 and it is never used and complete in the tin box like yours.