Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D Planning Software

If you havent already, it is worth checking out 'OnShape' (www.onshape.com)

Essentially it is the same founders that started Pro-E who then left and founded Solid Works and now launching a new company OnShape. Key to its features is that it is web based, and is setup as community 'sharing' philosophy. The basic CAD function is parametric and handles pretty much anything the others do.

It will not surprise me in the least if they end up eating the SolidWorks market share, same as SolidWorks ate ProE

Free for educational use (and maybe hobbiests). Personally I like it better than Fusion, and feel it is quite similar to SolidWorks. Sketchup I just never put the time in coming up the learning curve on with these other tools available.

"I am curious if other ww appreciate the value of parametrics?"
    I do since I use it all the time in my "day job"

Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    "I am curious if other ww appreciate the value of parametrics?"
    I do since I use it all the time in my "day job"

I never noticed much buzz about parametric component of CAD for ww. Which surprised me, as I never designed anything right the first time. I also like to tweak designs till they appeal to me. Without parametrics, I would not tweak the design if I had to constantly re draw. I found the method to make a design parametric was not overly complex, specially considering its benefit. You're lucky, your day job funds your CAD education

I did check out OnShape before I started, and it was my 2nd choice, maybe I made the wrong choice. ;(

It looks like Sketchup may be the most recommended here. I'll look around at the other tools and see what's easiest to get into and understand. You guys are great, thanks so much for the help!

Blog Entries
    I used Autocad 2D a ton at work. I found SketchUp to think very strangely. I went with Fusion 360. Both software seem to suffer from the same thing: they are always developing them. The standards like Solidworks, Autocad Inventor, etc are already pretty well developed. Any software that you get to use for 'free' comes with the catch that it is and will be under constant revision.

Generally speaking, you'll find something you don't like / hard to use. You'll google it and find out that the company knows about it and will fix it sometime in the future. Where as the standard 'pay' software already had that feature, etc.

I've tried SketchUp on my MacBook laptop and really struggle with it. I think the lack of a mouse with buttons seems to make it hard to use in this mode.

I'm almost to the point where I may buy another windows based desktop purely for this functionality.

At present, I still go back to my old drawing board with squares, etc. and do multiple drawings in pencil.

I'm an old software developer, so you would think I could figure this stuff out.

A mouse with buttons for your MacBook laptop is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nolan View Post
    A mouse with buttons for your MacBook laptop is cheap.
    Good idea, ordered one.

I have been using SketchUp Make 2017 for a while, I can usually get it to do what I want. I hope to learn Fusion 360 at some point, but haven't yet.

Recently I need to design a part to be machined out of aluminum, and the shop I contacted wanted a DXF format file. I got a copy of QCAD. I watched a few videos and learned enough to do what I wanted. It is a 2D CAD program. There is both a free and paid version. I got the latter as it was only $38. See https://qcad.org/en/ for more info. Worked pretty well and wan't too difficult to learn.

Here is picture of the resulting part.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've tried SketchUp on my MacBook laptop and really struggle with it. I think the lack of a mouse with buttons seems to make it hard to use in this mode.
    Do you have right click turned on for your Magic Mouse? I've not found any need for "buttons" since I switched to MacOS back in 2010.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post

I'm almost to the point where I may buy another windows based desktop purely for this functionality.

At present, I still go back to my old drawing board with squares, etc. and do multiple drawings in pencil.

I'm an old software developer, so you would think I could figure this stuff out.

And that's the reason I bought a cheap wireless mouse for my Mac. Works great.

It's a whopping $10 on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started using Sketchup and just didnt like it. In my experience, Sketchup behaves differently based on the situation which drives me crazy. I switched to Fusion 360 probably a year ago and I like it a lot. It does have a higher learning curve but once you get there it's a lot easier to use than Sketchup IMO. My big complaint with Fusion is the plan functionality. You can only dimension in 2D. Overall, the plan functionality is pretty limited. I've toyed with exporting from Fusion to AutoCad for making plans but that hasn't gone too well so far. Fusion's licensing is also awesome.

Great info Tim...
    can u please elaborate on...

> Overall, the plan functionality is pretty limited.

a few examples would be really helpful... I have not used other software to know its shortcomings.. thx

Found some good SketchUp tutorial videos from 'Rock-n H Woodshop'. He describes every keystroke and mouse click, draws a simple bench with rabbits, dados and dovetails and takes it all the way to stock layout and cut list.

I think I can finally get a grasp on this program, especially when my mouse arrives tomorrow,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyJCW6L_rE

I'd like to try fusion360, but I just went on their site and the only free version seems to be a one-year subscription for home users. Do those of you on here who are using it have a an older version that is free forever? I am a home/hobbyist user.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON