Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3D Planning Software

A lot of Fusion 360 users go for it because of the 3D design/modeling capability that ties directly into CNC and 3D Printing. It's really cost effective for that for hobbyists where they don't have the ability to afford products like SolidWorks and Rhino, etc. I don't really think it's intended for "traditional" dimensioned drawings, but I do agree that it would be nice if dimensions could flow with 3D/three axis drawings like they can in SketchUp.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim, go to the last video on this forum, and play it.
    This seems to allow 3d dimensions on a single View in 3d space in F360.
    While you can not spin the object in 3d space with dimensioning shown, it appears you can show dimensioning at any given snap shot in 3d space. Would you agree with this?
    thx in advance.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusio...s/td-p/8218063

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    While you can not spin the object in 3d space with dimensioning shown, it appears you can show dimensioning at any given snap shot in 3d space. Would you agree with this?
    thx in advance.

So something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

thx in advance.

That's just showing dimensions in the model space. You cant add 3D dimensions in the drawings. And when dimensioning in model space you can only add so many dimensions before Fusion 360 wont let you add more because the Sketch becomes too constrained. That's a whole other topic though.

Very interesting, thx Tim.

I knew F360 integrated CAM, but was not aware that was the products hallmark.

When u say, "plan", you do mean 2d drawings, right? just making sure.

Considering your experience in CAD, and knowing the needs of the hobbiest ww, i.e. a typical workflow, design a 3d model of what we want to build, render to see wood types, then when happy, break parts out and dimension in 2d for detailed cut list.... is there CAD programs better designed for this simple and limited workflow? (which is also acts like standard CAD, so we can also design an occasionaly metal part to have CNC'd, etc)
    Or would you say F360 is as good as any for this workflow / basic tasks?
    I don't know of anything that does all of this in a "simple" application. My guess is that Inventor has this capability but it's very expensive. I used to be a millwork engineer and we used AutoCAD. One of the guys I worked with tried really hard to get the company to switch to Inventor because of functionality such as this.

One thing I've learned in my professional life is that just isnt a single application that does everything you want it to do. I end up using a combination of Fusion, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign and sometimes SKetchUp to produce my plans. While AutoCAD could handle everything I need it's just too cumbersome in 3D mode. Someone more versed in AutoCAD 3D could probably make the type of plans I want as efficiently as I'd like but I am not at that level. And again, AutoCAD is really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Oh, I can see where that would be nice for plans you sell. I've never had a need for that so that's new to me. Thanks for your explanation.
    Views like that are really handy for people that didn't design the piece. I never use those views when I am building but they go into my plans. Well, I shouldn't say never, but very rarely.

i use autocad for design, but its what i feel comfortable with as i've been drafting for 25+ years. as for modeling software, i have both inventor and fusion and am teaching myself both. sketchup seems too bulky for me and i don't care for it.