Thread: My son

Blog Entries

My son

My son has his own collection of garage and DIY home improvement tools including a Kobalt TS. But whenever he needs to do something quick he comes to my house (5 minutes away) to use my tools and get help from dad. He knows I have the tools and he can find them. I was at his house Wednesday and the vacuum cleaner head needed disassembling to free the turbine. Couldn't lay his hands on a #2 phillips. Opened my car door and pulled out a #2 attached to my PC impact driver. Lately I have been keeping my tool bucket there as I have a bunch of church jobs that needed doing. Don't get me wrong, he is very capable, being a union ironworker. But can't find the time, working 60 hours a week, to organize his new garage.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ...he comes to my house (5 minutes away) to use my tools and get help from dad. ...Don't get me wrong, he is very capable, being a union ironworker. But can't find the time, working 60 hours a week, to organize his new garage.
    I can understand him seeking your wisdom and experience. (And the quality family time!) So valuable. But in case you are starting to feel like an enabler, thwarting development of his independence and potential maybe just change the locks on the door and pin up a list of helpful garage shop organizing tips!

I enjoy when family and friends come to get something made or fixed but none of them have tools or shop space or the capability to use them.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My son has his own collection of garage and DIY home improvement tools including a Kobalt TS. But whenever he needs to do something quick he comes to my house (5 minutes away) to use my tools and get help from dad. He knows I have the tools and he can find them. I was at his house Wednesday and the vacuum cleaner head needed disassembling to free the turbine. Couldn't lay his hands on a #2 phillips. Opened my car door and pulled out a #2 attached to my PC impact driver. Lately I have been keeping my tool bucket there as I have a bunch of church jobs that needed doing. Don't get me wrong, he is very capable, being a union ironworker. But can't find the time, working 60 hours a week, to organize his new garage.
    Well............if you have a son that works 60 hours a week as an Iron Worker and lives 5 minutes away and likes to ask Dad for help you are a lucky man! Maybe some day when he is off, go down and say "Let's organize your shop together. ?????

Ron

Our son lives 12 miles away, and that's still too close.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    My son is in Korea and it is likely we will not see him & family for another few years.

At least since we share a birthday we call him on his birthday and then he calls us on my birthday so it is a treat to talk to him two days in a row.

If you do not understand, Korea is a day ahead of the U.S.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My son found out the hard way about Korea being a day ahead of us. He was deployed to Korea when he was in the Army, the day before his 21st birthday. As a result, he missed his 21st birthday.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    I consider myself very fortunate that my sons are only 35 and 5 minutes away. The closest one will work a full day an hour and a half away, drive home and still find time to mow my lawn when we are out of town without being asked. My close friend and neighbor has five kids, two in Florida, one in Boston, one in Wisconsin and another in Singapore yet we are close to all of them thanks to texting and Facebook.
    NOW you tell me...