Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zero Turn Mower

New Zero Turn Mower

Starting to think about a new Zero Turn Mower.
    I now own a Toro 52" with a 19 Hp Kawasaki that I have been happy with. Mow 2 1/2 acr all flat.

What brand have you been happy with?
    More important. Is there a brand you have had trouble with? Parts hard to get etc.....
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I've got the Toro 52" and it went back to the shop four times before it had 8 hours on it. Most of the problem was with the cheesy deck belt they make but I don't think I will buy another Toro.

I've had a snapper pro 52 or 54 for about 4 or 5 years. It's built like a tank and I've had zero problems with it. No service at all other than oil/lube/filters/sharpening. Of course that means I can't speak to parts availability. With stuff like that, I tend to shop for a good dealer with a good service department, and then choose from brands they offer. I always ask to see the service department.

I'm getting a Ferris, that has a suspension system. No experience with the brand, but I figured it would be the last one I buy, and didn't want to do any more bouncing around. I did check what dealers were available, as there seems to be a big difference in after sale ability between them. I had narrowed it down to Scat, and Ferris, but decided on the Ferris.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-16-2019 at 5:07 PM.

I had a Cub Cadet 60 inch Tank that went back 6 times for the same problem that they couldn't fix so they gave me my money back. The reason I bought it was I talked to 2 other people that owned them one was a yard service that had 2 and the other was my neighbor that had 2000 hours on his from mowing 10 different places the smallest was 6 acres. I ended up with a Gravely pro turn 460 with a Yamaha engine and air ride seat.

Blog Entries
    I have had a Deere 425ZT for nearly ten years with little to no problems. Only 250 hours on it as I have a fairly small yard.
    NOW you tell me...

I've had a SCAG Freedom-Z for about a decade now. It's been excellent. My advise is to look at brands/models sold and serviced by local companies. Avoid the machines at the 'borg which are not constructed the same way as those you'll see at independent dealers, even if they have the same color and brand name on them, and place value on local support and service. (Same advice for things like tractors, etc.)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cub Cadet pro z 100 for about 3 years. It has been an excellent and I can get parts and service right up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have had a Deere 425ZT for nearly ten years with little to no problems. Only 250 hours on it as I have a fairly small yard.
    Short answer, anything but a Deere, you need to call out a lab tech/Deere rep (competent or not) to deal with repair of those things. They have a "nobody but us can legally repair them" attitude that is utterly repugnant, and they need to be driven into insolvency, the only answer to that. Sorry and good luck (so far.)

See if you can demo one that is what I did. I tried Exmark Cub Gravely and John Deere Hustler. They all had things that I liked and things I didn't. The Tank was the one that I liked the most but After the problem eith the linkages they gave me credit for another but at the end of the year I got the Gravely that was high on my list. My Brother in law has a John Deere and he has more problems with it and I mow more then he does and his is a commercial unit bought new from a dealer. It has been in the shop at least 3 times a year for major work.

We bought a Gravely 60" this year and it's rock solid. Only have about 35 hours on it and no problems so far. We have all the various dealers in the area and the Gravely came out on top. The SCAG dealer didn't seem to want my business.

I had a lawn company back in the 90’s. We cut a lot, one crew 5 days a week 2 cutting crews on Thursday and Friday. We ran the Scag mowers and we ran them pretty hard. 2 61” turf tigers and 2 48” zero turns. I recently saw the newer one and boy it looks way nicer than the older ones we had. Solid machines that should last a really long time outside of commercial use if maintained properly. I demoed other brands but none cut as good at comparable speeds. Exmark was probably the closest. this info is old so TIFWIW.

Thanks for the info so far. Hope to see more.

The dealers I have very close to me are Toro, Exmark, Scag, Kubota & Cub Cadet

Toro & Exmark are the same company. I can walk to the Toro dealer but they tend to be expensive on their equipment. My Toro is 12 years old and this is the first year I have needed a repair other than normal stuff.

Scag is the top of my list to look at and dealer has a good reputation.

Never liked Cub Cadet after MTD purchased them years ago. Friend purchased a cub ZTR just a few years ago and the frame rusted in two. Always stored indoors. Also had an oil leak the dealer fixed last winter in the off season. Found in spring the leak was not fixed and dealer would not do anything because it was out of the 30 day warranty. So that dealer is out.

Kubota dealer has a large service department (Located in an old Ford dealership) But hear Kubota is Expensive, Have to check them out.

Interested in Farris and Hustler but dealers are 30 to 45 min away. Not a deal breaker, but........
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-16-2019 at 9:44 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've had a SCAG Freedom-Z for about a decade now. It's been excellent. My advise is to look at brands/models sold and serviced by local companies. Avoid the machines at the 'borg which are not constructed the same way as those you'll see at independent dealers, even if they have the same color and brand name on them, and place value on local support and service. (Same advice for things like tractors, etc.)

How much land do you mow each week?
    - Rick Dale

+1 for Ferris or Simplicity. Snapper is the same machine without suspension. I'm on my 3rd year on my Simplicity Cobalt. 61" deck, 28 hp EFI. I only have about 70 hours on it though. The smooth ride is so nice though. The Simplicity comes standard with the striping roller. I'd buy again without hesitation. However I had a Dixie Chopper before that and it was 16 years old and never so much as a drive belt on it. So they are very dependable as well.