Thread: Entertain Me

Entertain Me

Just back from my quinquennial peek-a-boo procedure. New record, 6 polyps, 1 that bled. I am supposed to sit in my chair for the rest of the day. I hope the tribe of Neanderthals is having a better day. What’s up for you?!

Blog Entries
    It is a day to go to town and do some grocery shopping. My shop time will likely be minimal to none today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We can argue the relative merits of tool boards, wall cabinets, and tool chests upon your return.

Here is topic for conversation. I will be traveling to Covington, KY on Friday to visit Lost Arts Press who are hosting a Lie-Nielsen event. I hope to see both Chris Schwarz and Megan Fitzpatrick. Do you have any burning questions you would have me ask?

I would actually be interested in reading that argument. As my hand tool collection is growing, I have been thinking of a better way to store them than on a shelf and my bench. Not sure if I want to build a display wall, a nice cabinet, or a chest to store everything

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I would actually be interested in reading that argument. As my hand tool collection is growing, I have been thinking of a better way to store them than on a shelf and my bench. Not sure if I want to build a display wall, a nice cabinet, or a chest to store everything
    Yes, me too. I have two shops in need of suitable storage. One is the hand tool workshop in Atlanta, the other the power tool shop on Norris Lake in Tennessee. The power tool shop is still under construction. I think the power tool shop will have the workbench in the middle of the floor with some storage underneath and the wall behind will have base cabinets. I prefer deep drawers to cabinet doors so the bases will be mostly drawers. There really is not much space for wall storage above the base due to windows and diagonal braces for the timber frame. In Atlanta, space is really tight. The bench is against the wall. I want add two 2’x4’ tool boards with a narrow shelf attached to the lower edge above the bench. This will keep the frequently used tools within reach and keep hand tools off the bench. The rest of the tools will gradually have pidgeon-hole boxes built that rest on existing warehouse shelves to house less frequently used tools. I have more tools than space in both shops.

My choices are dictated by the available space. My preference is actually wall hanging tool cabinets with doors. I expect not to have any of those.

I have material to build a couple of transportable tool boxes to carry tools between shops. They have to be small enough that I can carry them up and down stairs. I do not expect to work out of them. I also have 24”x28”x48” lockable metal job site box that I will use to keep small, expensive hand tools from walking off. The luggable tool boxes will be sized to fit neatly in the metal box. Again, it will not be a box to work from.

How about you?

My shop is in my basement. I have limited floor space but lots of wall space so I figure a wall mounted cabinet or tool wall is best. Also, if any water gets in a floor chest isn't a good idea. I am leaning towards a tool wall as a cabinet hanging off the wall might not be convenient, but we will see. I like the accessibility of a tool wall but the "less likely to knock something off the wall" aspect of a cabinet

Dust and rust. Closing the door when you are routing worth a good bit. If dampness and rust are issues in your basement, you can heat or use a VCI product in a tightly enclosed cabinet. Cabinets take more time and materials to build.

Lots of pros and cons.

Hope you're up, and enjoy being back at it tomorrow.

I'm fond of the small Dutch toolchest (when wanting to keep it portable) otherwise the large Dutch toolchest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    I'm fond of the small Dutch toolchest (when wanting to keep it portable) otherwise the large Dutch toolchest.
    Since OP is worried about moving tool chests, you can make a modular DTC. Someone posted his design, (I bet Google has found it,) but basically each horizontal divider becomes a bottom & a top and you spring for extra handle sets. I don't remember, but he may have keyed the bases with the tops so they wouldn't slide apart. But it was sorta' cool because you could move it section by section and even take fewer sections to travel light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Hope you're up, and enjoy being back at it tomorrow.
    Thanks. I seem to be free of any of the post procedure warning signs. Tomorrow should be a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Since OP is worried about moving tool chests, you can make a modular DTC. Someone posted his design, (I bet Google has found it,) but basically each horizontal divider becomes a bottom & a top and you spring for extra handle sets. I don't remember, but he may have keyed the bases with the tops so they wouldn't slide apart. But it was sorta' cool because you could move it section by section and even take fewer sections to travel light.
    I will look for the modular Dutch design. I can see how how it might be useful to me.

I don’t expect to move tools a lot. I just want to have some boxes that make it possible. And, toolboxes are fun to build.

In my woodworking experience, I have not worked out of a box. Some people highly recommend it. They also regularly teach classes to build them. I am referring to the inimitable, irascible Mr. Schwarz of course.

Do you have a preference for your working storage: toolboard, wall cabinet, drawers, tool chest, or something else?
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 09-16-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I will look for the modular Dutch design. ...
    FOUND IT!

Though there are probably others.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    ... Do you have a preference for your working storage: toolboard, wall cabinet, drawers, tool chest, or something else?
    Me? Not yet. I'm getting more into handtools and as I gain skills & tools I need to find a solution. Power tool tool chests, boxes, & bags just don't work well for many (most?) handtools. I'm leaning towards a DTC, hence the collection of bookmarks, but have also seen some very nice Japanese (style) toolboxes that might be (even) better for small sets of tools or travel.