Thread: ​Is 22 1/2 inches too narrow for a TS outfeed table

​Is 22 1/2 inches too narrow for a TS outfeed table

I'm trying to work with available shop space and it looks like I might end up going with 22 1/2" wide vs my current 30" wide.

But that strikes me as juuuust a little bit narrow. Does anybody have any experience with a TS outfeed table that width.

​​​​​​​Thanks.
    Howard Rosenberg

Mine is 24" wide, but it slides left/right as needed to accommodate narrower or wider pieces coming off the saw. Where would you locate it relative to the blade? If it's centered that's only 11" on each side. Even 22" on one side would be too narrow for wide plywood panels, IMO.

Have you considered a folding off-feed table?

John

Thanks John. Yes, this one will be on casters so I can jiggle it into position.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks John. Yes, this one will be on casters so I can jiggle it into position.
    Then it should do as long as it's stable.

John

Thanks John.
    Howard Rosenberg

Blog Entries
    Any outfeed table is better than none. Depends if you plan on breaking down large sheet. Mine is 24" and works well for me. Long enough to balance a six foot board. I have a track saw for sheet goods.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-07-2023 at 6:12 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks Ole.
    Howard Rosenberg

Blog Entries
    The outfeed catches in the long direction and the width direction.

In my shop, here's how I thought through it originally:

Length direction... it's rare that I'm ripping longer than 8 feet long, so I made the length of my outfeed about 4 feet long... combined with the table saw surface behind the blade, more than 50% of each rip cut is supported even at the completion of a long cut, so my boards won't flip down to the floor.

In the width direction... it's rare that I'm cutting anything wider than 4 feet (usually plywood), and most wider things are cross cuts carried in a sled (not needing outfeed). So, my outfeed was originally set at 4 feet wide since that's what I could fit in the space, and I figured it would offer good support in most situations.

In reality, the length decision has been great. I love it and don't plan to change it. In infrequent scenarios where I'm ripping longer than 8 feet, I use supplemental roller stands.

And, in reality, the width decision was greatly trimmed down since my first version. Mine is presently about 36 inches wide and could go even smaller easily. 99% of what I rip on the table saw is less than 18 inches wide, and I use a track saw for most things that are wider (feels safer to bring the tool to those big/wide surfaces).

So, I think your width will be fine, and maybe even discourage it from becoming "another work surface" that collects stuff during your projects. (ask me how I know... my outfeed currently has a stack of partially assembled Morris Chairs taking opportunistic advantage of flat, horizontal surface. <face palm> )
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 12-09-2023 at 8:24 AM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

My outfeed is a 4x4 piece of 3/4" plywood. I cut 12" off and put it back on with a piano hinge. I drilled the cast iron top and bolted supports to it and then bolted the 12" section to that.

I fold it open when I want to use it and fold it down so it can't collect crap. This has caused me to just shift the pile of crap from the outfeed to the right side of the table saw fence. You just can't win when you're a dedicated slob.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rich - re being "a dedicated slob," I think you and I might be related.....

Thanks Bob - you gave me some good ideas re how to assess it
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    I'm trying to work with available shop space and it looks like I might end up going with 22 1/2" wide vs my current 30" wide.

But that strikes me as juuuust a little bit narrow. Does anybody have any experience with a TS outfeed table that width.

​​​​​​​Thanks.
    Well, mine is 6” wide and 16” long, for really long stuff I have a 6” X 36” one.

Both work just fine, it’s on a short stroke slider.

Regards, Rod.