Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: Interesting camping experience

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    298
    I have this set of clowns running through the yard. I have to go on "turd patrol" before I mow.


    WGI_0153 gif.jpgWGI_0283 gif.jpgWGI_0579 gif.jpg


    I'm open to suggestions on how to reroute them elsewheres. (I'm in the city limits so, some of the solutions are not quite..."acceptable")

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    8,339
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    I have this set of clowns running through the yard. I have to go on "turd patrol" before I mow.


    WGI_0153 gif.jpgWGI_0283 gif.jpgWGI_0579 gif.jpg


    I'm open to suggestions on how to reroute them elsewheres. (I'm in the city limits so, some of the solutions are not quite..."acceptable")
    Perimiter fence and get some big dogs, pack of coyotes? Electric fence, vigilante watch with super soaker full of ammonia? Offer a bounty?

    Besides the dogs, I've never been successful with any "normal" methods other than trapping. When we lived in a city that's the only way I eliminated the nightly trash can trashing of a pack of rogue 'coons.

    But what are they after? Trash cans, cat food left out, just passing through to neighbor's cat food?

    JKJ

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Perimiter fence and get some big dogs, pack of coyotes? Electric fence, vigilante watch with super soaker full of ammonia? Offer a bounty?

    Besides the dogs, I've never been successful with any "normal" methods other than trapping. When we lived in a city that's the only way I eliminated the nightly trash can trashing of a pack of rogue 'coons.

    But what are they after? Trash cans, cat food left out, just passing through to neighbor's cat food?
    Yes sir, they do love wet cat food, the stinkier the better. That's the way to trap them. The problem here is, y'all have a pack of them, and you'll only get the first one before the others wise up to the camouflaged trap. Rogues OTOH are easy to trap.

    If "food" has existed in a location, it will take a long time (months? years?) before their "handed-down social lore" of where to find it is extinguished, so get ready for a battle of attrition. Don't ever feed them or in any sense make them feel welcome, it will be noted in their (probably scent-trail-related) "guidebook".
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 09-18-2019 at 3:20 PM.

  4. #19
    You just need to get to know them. They are quite comical to watch.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    You just need to get to know them. They are quite comical to watch.
    When I was in high school we lived near Ft Indiantown Gap in Pennsylvania. Their sanitary landfill for garbage was a trench about 20 ft wide by 12 feet deep and the trash was thrown into it. Well skunks and raccoons would get down in there and until it is fairly full could not get out. My dad was a Game warden and deer that were flattened on the highway, were examined and then taken to the military's landfill. I loved to go along, because dad would let me have his pistol and walk along the edge shooting the raccoons and skunks. Workers were getting bit and the raccoons were trying to climb into vehicles. There were so many, and were such pests that the military wanted them eliminated. One summer evening, we shot over 40 of them. But that was no where near the record. A deputy game warden shot over 70 in one evening.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •