Thread: Owl Hardwood -- Chicago

Owl Hardwood -- Chicago

I live in NW Indiana but went up to Chicago to buy some Oak Plywood. I have been there before but am awe struck everytime. They have excellent quality of hardwood and exotics. They had some slabs that I fell in love with but not in my price range. One was a 3 ft diameter slab about two inches thick of a maple burl. I was so fascinated that I forgot to take a picture.

I bought several sheets of plywood and had them cut. The plywood is stored flat and NO edge dings. They cut it accurately and helped me load it.

This was a great experience and everyone friendly.

My wife loves walking around and looking and does not notice me paying the bill.

Owl is my go-to place for "special" woods and for times I need only a few boards. As you noted, they are helpful and have great stock. Everything is S2S, so you can easily pick the pieces that fit your project. There are cheaper, to-the-trade, hardwood dealers for purchases of larger amounts in the Chicago area, but you don't get to select your boards. It is always fun to see what slabs they have on display at their Des Plaines store, which is the one closest to me.

Having a "candy store" like that to go to once in awhile is a very pleasant thing, even if you don't open your wallet. There is a whole lot of really beautiful wood in this world to salivate over! Sounds like this place could be for you what Hearne is for me...although I will admit that I didn't get out of there unscathed the other day when I was helping a Texas 'Creeker with my eyes on the material he needed. No way I couldn't, um...shop...a little. LOL

Really nice that your partner-in-crime enjoys viewing the beautiful wood, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...