Thread: Small, stacked drawers

Small, stacked drawers

I'm building a 'fine' wall-hung tool cabinet. As fine as I'm able, anyway. I have a space at the bottom of the case, approx. 25" W x 10" H x 8.5" D. Ideally, I'll mount two columns of shallow drawers, each approx 1.25" usable depth, and 12" wide. Probably four drawers high, two wide, total eight drawers. These will be handcut dovetails, and I don't want to rely on metal runners. There's no room for web frame / blades around each drawer, and that feels like overkill anyway. The drawers will probably be cork lined, and be used to hold layout tools, perhaps chisels and extra plane blades, etc.

I don't understand how to mount the drawers in the case. In the example photo I found, it appears the drawer sides are grooved, and run on a small strip attached to the case side. Is there more to it than that? And what about the center stile, as it doesn't appear that there IS one.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 01.55.48 AM.jpg

No, that's pretty much on target. You can make them a bit more complex by making the runners out of HDPE plastic, which has the benefit of meaning you don't have to wax them on a semi-regular basis, and no wood movement. But ultimately as long as you aren't wanting the drawers to be "full extension" - drawer runners on the side work splendidly.

I'm thinking of using a no-taper sliding dovetail for the runner, hoping for tighter action - less droop when extended.

But HDPE is a nice idea...

Check out http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware...614,43616&ap=2 Pretty slick. Not fully traditional, but very space efficient.

Hey, those are pretty cool. Thanks for the link!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vannucci View Post
    I don't understand how to mount the drawers in the case. In the example photo I found, it appears the drawer sides are grooved, and run on a small strip attached to the case side. Is there more to it than that? And what about the center stile, as it doesn't appear that there IS one.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 01.55.48 AM.jpg
    Here is what I did on a small jewelry cabinet for my wife. The height of this cabinet is about 18" so the drawers are similar in size to what you are proposing to make.
    jewel2.jpgjewel5.jpg
    As you can see there are runners in the cabinet and corresponding grooves in the drawer sides. The runners and runner grooves in the vertical supports are lightly dovetailed as they were long grain, running across the grain of the sides. The are glued only at the front so they can moves seasonally if they want to. The cross supports you see are actually a bit of over kill, but do serve to hold the sides parallel.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-20-2019 at 7:19 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Grooved drawers and side hung cleats will work with no problem with an occasional waxing of the runners. My tool box mounted in my work bench was done this way 25 years ago and has worked flawlessly since. Not full extension so be careful pulling them out so you will not spill the contents.