Thread: Automatic shut-off valves for washer hoses

Automatic shut-off valves for washer hoses

I like the idea of an automatic shut-off valve for the hoses to washing machines. I'd think that the type that uses a mechanical timer would be an old and proven technology, but I only found one brand for sale on Amazon. Was my search ineffecive?

https://www.amazon.com/Plumb-Pak-235...gateway&sr=8-8

The type of shut-off that works by sensing whether the washer is drawing current is interesting. I assume it's a relatively new technology. Anyone have experience with such a device?
    Last edited by Stephen Tashiro; 09-24-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I like the idea of an automatic shut-off valve for the hoses to washing machines. I'd think that the type that uses a mechanical timer would be an old and proven technology, but I only found one brand for sale on Amazon. Was my search ineffecive?

The type of shut-off that works by sensing whether the washer is drawing current is interesting. I assume it's a relatively new technology. Anyone have experience with such a device?
    I don't have any experience with the auto shutoff valves.

I use several with timers on outdoor hoses when filling water tanks for the llamas and such. (in case I forget to turn them off). They are also good when watering blueberry bushes and such with soaker hoses. Don't know how useful they would be on a washing machine. I like to reach back and turn off the supply valve.

I've bought two brands from Amazon, both wind up. I don't want to mess with an electronic one.

I have two like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VED4Q0

I also have one like this but like the other one better.
    https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62034-M.../dp/B006FLGHGE

JKJ

Only installed one of the current sensing style shutoffs (watts intelliflow) and the only complaint was the price but it was in a job where a first floor washing machine hose blew (2 story home) in the night and this home had tight fitting door sweeps to the basement. Basement was fully finished. Homeowners came downstairs in the morning to 2" of water in the first floor that had been slowly draining into the basement all night and destroyed the finished basement. So the cost of the valve was really not an issue in the grand scheme.

Ive been installing single handle shutoffs on washers for 30 years but I'd guess 2% of people actually shut them off after every use. WM pans drained to the exterior have been common too but that only helps if there is pretty much an internal leak in the machine. If a hose is spraying the pan is useless.

Its a wonder the price is so high given the trend for second floor washer and dryers, washer and dryer in a master walkin closet, and so on. I have seen some water sensing shutoffs/alarms over the years but again those rely on the leak to be sensed by the unit. Shutting the washer supplies off completely every time is the only fail safe.

You dont hear of many people having a problem but when you do its usually going to be a doozy especially with these new braided supply hoses that pretty much give you zero visual warning of an impending failure.

Not too long ago had nightmare in GF's house where a 3/4" flex braided water heater supply let go in the middle of the night and soaked a small basement flooding a 200 amp main panel in the process. Luckily there was a floor drain in the space.

I dont trust stainless braided supplies anywhere. Im old school and run soft copper supplies to this day.

I put a valve like that on my gas stove. The fridge water supply line safety valve is a pain to reset. With electronic controls I installed a surge protective outlet for both.

Our laundry room as the automatic valves because it's on the second floor. Even with the pan, having the lines positively disconnected when the washer isn't in operation is desirable because hoses can degrade over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With the new front loaders on pedestals, who can reach the water valves?

Right now our washer is connected with braided hose- just like every toilet and sink in the house...

But if I wanted to upgrade the washer connections, I'd pick up some adapters, a couple of elbows and a pair of flex lines--
    fl.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    With the new front loaders on pedestals, who can reach the water valves?

Right now our washer is connected with braided hose- just like every toilet and sink in the house...

But if I wanted to upgrade the washer connections, I'd pick up some adapters, a couple of elbows and a pair of flex lines--
    fl.jpg

The pedestal deal, no different than the trend to stackables, just has to be dealt with on installation. New home construction its easier as the valve box can just be located in an accessible location. But again, I'd venture to guess 2% of the people who have an easily accessible single handle shutoff for their washer ever use it anyway. And that same 98% who never use the shutoff will not pay the $200 bucks for a current sensing auto shutoff.

Given the the fact that code in the US is pretty much exclusively written by fire marshals and insurance companies, I doubt it will be long before something will be written into the code with regards to SS braided supplies. Its already covered that they are never to be reused and they are not to be installed in areas that are not readily available for regular visual inspection though the home centers are selling long braided supplies for dishwashers every day that can never be seen.

I cant tell you how many times Ive seen braided supplies installed that are too short, or were twisted/torqued when installed so they have a kink in them from day one. Home center fixtures are coming with non-removable braided supplies from the factory so when the supply springs a leak you have no choice but to buy a whole new faucet. On and on.

I literally have a home for a customer that is built like the Taj Mahal and their was a bath faucet in their that the homeowner insisted on having and they purchased from the home center (Lowes) and it was one of the early models that had the braided supplies crimped right at the valve body. Non removable, non replaceable. Perhaps 8 years in, braided supply gave up the ghost. Leaked all over the bath. Faucet perfectly in-tact. Trash. Thankfully a slow enough leak that not a lot of damage was done but a water leak in a vanity is never a pretty thing.

That simply doesnt happen with copper supplies.

My MIL was forced to have one of these installed for her main supply line by the insurance company after an old water line failed and flooded part of the house. Apparently, hers works on flow rate, where the solenoid closes if it senses uninterrupted full throttle (I guess?) water flow for a certain duration of time. She told me it's a PITA because things like the lawn irrigation system or filling the swimming pool will trigger it at random times.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I installed the Watts current sensing automatic shutoff valve when I built my house in 2003. The unit failed about a year ago and would no longer shut off the water. I bought a replacement and installed that. It's pretty cheap insurance, really, as a burst hose will cause a whole lot more than a couple hundred bucks of damage.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I installed the Watts current sensing automatic shutoff valve when I built my house in 2003. The unit failed about a year ago and would no longer shut off the water. I bought a replacement and installed that. It's pretty cheap insurance, really, as a burst hose will cause a whole lot more than a couple hundred bucks of damage.

Derek
    How did you realize it was not shutting off?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    What would be the harm in lowering the pressure to the washer to, say 40lbs, at that pressure, standard hoses should last a long time. Sure, it would take longer to fill but my machine doesn’t use as much water as the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How did you realize it was not shutting off?
    Bill D.
    There is a valve inside my washing machine that went bad and the drum started filling slowly with water. I had to fix the washer, and that made me realize that the automatic valve was not working, as I would not have known about the leaky valve in the washer if it was.

There are places it's part of the building code to have the auto cut off valves. I do work for a company that does fire and flood restoration and I've had to do a lot of work as a result of a burst washer hose.