Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-spare mini-rant

Spares are being replaced by cell phones and AAA memberships ( or road service provisions in car insurance policies). What do car rental companies do nowadays? Do they leave any manufacturer supplied spare and jack in the car? Or do they "replace" it with a road service company?

Many vehicles even come with roadside assistance, even when there's an actual spare tire onboard. While I've been a AAA member for "eons" and will always carry it (insurance is through them, too) my Subaru Ascent has roadside assistance included. My previous vehicle, a MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit had road side assistance thought 7 years/100K Miles via the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract I had on it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My roadside assistance says that they will put a spare tire on a car in case of a flat. I assume this means they won't send out a tire truck if you don't have a spare.

Blog Entries
    My Chrysler Town and Country has a spare that's suspended under the center console. There's some sort of winch between the two front seats. I've never taken the time to try it to see what it's like. I suppose I should.

Know what else doesn't come with spares?

v31.JPGv32.JPG
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    My Chrysler Town and Country has a spare that's suspended under the center console. There's some sort of winch between the two front seats. I've never taken the time to try it to see what it's like. I suppose I should.
    I have a Grand Caravan that has a winch for the spare in that location, but no actual spare tire there. My parent's 2014 Grand Caravan is the same way with no spare tire. I need to see about getting a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Know what else doesn't come with spares?

v31.JPGv32.JPG
    ha. reminds me of working in the outback. our big trucks had custom spares and mounts with winches to get them off the mount. but Damn, it was lot of work with a bottle jack and a big socket wrench to change on in the middle of the outback by yourself, where there is no way to communicate if you don't have a sat. phone.