Thread: Aniline dye frustrations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aniline dye frustrations

This is my first time using aniline dye. The instructions say to add to mediums such as benzol, touol, turpentine, Naptha, lacquer thinner, tung oil, etc. and stir frequently for the first hour. I chose to use turpentine. I’ve been stirring it frequently for a few hours and it simply is not dissolving. Am I doing something wrong? I chose turpentine only because it seemed less volatile. Should I use something else?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What specific product are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What specific product are you using?
    J.E. Moser's aniline dye stain #845247

Several reviews say it's easily mixed so I must be doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-14-2019 at 4:07 PM.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've never used that product. The internet says that dye you have is water soluble. I've always used Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain. It comes already mixed with alcohol.

Bruce, it sounds like you have the instructions for their oil based product, but actually have a water based product. I’ve had similar problems with trying to use water based dye in oil.

Try it in water and see how it mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    I've never used that product. The internet says that dye you have is water soluble. I've always used Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain. It comes already mixed with alcohol.
    Ed, Scott, the directions say it is water, alcohol, & oil soluble. I’m trying to stain some MDF so I didn’t want to go with water. I may have no choice.

Andy Rooney

Try lacquer thinner. It has alcohol in it. The dye I use you can mix into a lacquer finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Ed, Scott, the directions say it is water, alcohol, & oil soluble. I’m trying to stain some MDF so I didn’t want to go with water. I may have no choice.
    Bruce, why don’t you just try mixing up some small samples, solely for the intent of seeing what it will mix in?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Bruce, why don’t you just try mixing up some small samples, solely for the intent of seeing what it will mix in?
    I will give it a try with some water.

Andy Rooney

I don't know how much of it you mixed but it wouldn't hurt it to pour off the majority of the turps and either mix it with lacquer thinner. What turps is there would dissolve into the lacquer thinner.

How do you plan to apply the dye to MDF. You know MDF is just paper and would go really blotchy if not sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    I don't know how much of it you mixed but it wouldn't hurt it to pour off the majority of the turps and either mix it with lacquer thinner. What turps is there would dissolve into the lacquer thinner.

How do you plan to apply the dye to MDF. You know MDF is just paper and would go really blotchy if not sprayed.
    Lesson learned, it dissolved almost instantly with hot water. I don’t know why they said it was turpentine soluble.
    Next lesson is how to apply it to MDF. I have spray capability but don’t feel like setting it up for this little project.

Thanks for the help

Andy Rooney

All too often the worst thing a person can do is read the instructions.

I'm interested to see what dyed MDF looks like. Not something I would ever have considered.

John

John, I wasn’t too happy overall with the MDF staining. Quality MDF might be different but borg MDF looks blotchy stained. I made this v-carve plaque for my grandson. There’s enough going on that you can’t see the blotching but it’s very obvious with less busy pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andy Rooney