Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Question on Home Built CNC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another Question on Home Built CNC

I've ran across a "home built" setup. I've not saw it in person but have been messaging back and forth some. It seems like he used top quality components as near as I can tell. The base is built from 3" square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. Gantry is 8" square 1/4" wall thickness aluminum tubing. Auto Tool Changing Spindle. Nema 34 hybrid driver and encoded motors. Centroid Acorn controller. Centroid CNC12 + digitizer software license. Touchscreen Windows 10 computer. 44" x 90" work area. Can see it operate and run if desired. Estimates it to weigh about 1200 lbs. Thoughts? Questions I need to ask?

Hi Ronald,
    Could you post some pictures please?
    Thanks,
    David

It sounds like a quality build but the 44" x 90" work area is very odd. You can “almost” put a standard full-size sheet on it.
    Pictures would help.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I missed the 44" x 90" part earlier. That is indeed very strange from a dimension standpoint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm still waiting to see the pictures. Sounds beefy. Could be good for light machining of non-ferrous metals, even with the odd table size.
    David

Hi Ronald,
    This looks like a nice setup! I think his asking price is probably less than the materials/parts/software cost (and not counting the labor to build it). By comparison, a similar machine from cnc router parts would probably run around 11K and you would have to assemble it from a kit. The quick-change spindle would probably add another 1-2 K (upgrade cost). Of course the Camaster, Shop Sabre, and others will run much more for a similar size machine. You would probably need to factor in the cost to hire a rigger to transport a 1200 lb. machine to your location. If you do decide to purchase, it would be nice to have complete documentation with wiring diagrams, schematics, parts list, manuals, etc. since you would be pretty much on your own for factory support after the sale. I like the fact that he has multiple E-stop switches mounted around the machine in at least 3 locations that I can see from the photos. Does it come with a tool setter for setting the tool height in the quick change tool holders? How many tool holders does he have? The beauty of this quick change system is that you don't need to re-zero your Z axis after every tool change. Is he including the tooling package (carbide endmills and other cutters)? I think this machine may warrant some serious consideration.
    David

cnc router table for sale photo 1.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 2.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 3.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 4.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 5.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 6.jpg

Why is he selling this? Does it have issues, has he outgrown it, is he not using it, etc.?

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Why is he selling this? Does it have issues, has he outgrown it, is he not using it, etc.?

David
    The seller says it is fully operational and available for inspection/testing. He probably had fun building it and doing a few signs and engravings, but now is ready to move on. I don't see any other woodworking machines or tools in the background of the photos, so I suspect he is not a full-time hobby woodworker. Just my guess.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Ronald,
    This looks like a nice setup! I think his asking price is probably less than the materials/parts/software cost (and not counting the labor to build it). By comparison, a similar machine from cnc router parts would probably run around 11K and you would have to assemble it from a kit. The quick-change spindle would probably add another 1-2 K (upgrade cost). Of course the Camaster, Shop Sabre, and others will run much more for a similar size machine. You would probably need to factor in the cost to hire a rigger to transport a 1200 lb. machine to your location. If you do decide to purchase, it would be nice to have complete documentation with wiring diagrams, schematics, parts list, manuals, etc. since you would be pretty much on your own for factory support after the sale. I like the fact that he has multiple E-stop switches mounted around the machine in at least 3 locations that I can see from the photos. Does it come with a tool setter for setting the tool height in the quick change tool holders? How many tool holders does he have? The beauty of this quick change system is that you don't need to re-zero your Z axis after every tool change. Is he including the tooling package (carbide endmills and other cutters)? I think this machine may warrant some serious consideration.
    David

cnc router table for sale photo 1.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 2.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 3.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 4.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 5.jpgcnc router table for sale photo 6.jpg
    I moved two that were heavier then that my self. Just need a little thought on how to load it. I raised one end up and put three wheel casters under it and pushed it to the door then raised one end up and backed my trailer under it. Put it back on the casters and rolled it on the trailer the picked the back up and pushed it the rest of the way. I used a knock down hoist to do that.

In the conversation I've had with him he stated two reasons. It's currently in his basement which he is going to remodel and he is wanting to get more into just building them. He said his plan is to have a separate building as his workshop in the future. He said he spent about 6 months putting this one together.

Is that the work area or the table size? If its the table it will alway be something to deal with. Work area will take some getting use to…. my guess he screwed up the the design. It looks heavy duty!! Price?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Work area is 44" by 90". So yes is just a little less than a full sheet. Asking price is $7995.

Hi Ronald,
    Can he get it out of the basement without any disassembly?
    David

He said that he would remove the gantry and we can stand it on it's side. It will go through the door that way. He said there are additional quick change heads and some router bits included.

Will he include the tool setter?