Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Question on Home Built CNC

I might be a bit hesitant regarding the control electronics. They are open mounted on a wooden panel, I would suggest that an enclosed box with a metal backplane, for function, cooling and safety. Also, a few of the components are mounted contrary to mfgr's installation instructions, this could impair cooling. Also there are line voltage wires unsecured... for feet. A trip and safety hazard.

Having built a few machines, and knowing that each time I built one of the first dozen or so, I came upon an improvement that I couldn't wait to get into the next build. What number build is this for him?
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    I might be a bit hesitant regarding the control electronics. They are open mounted on a wooden panel, I would suggest that an enclosed box with a metal backplane, for function, cooling and safety. Also, a few of the components are mounted contrary to mfgr's installation instructions, this could impair cooling. Also there are line voltage wires unsecured... for feet. A trip and safety hazard.

Having built a few machines, and knowing that each time I built one of the first dozen or so, I came upon an improvement that I couldn't wait to get into the next build. What number build is this for him?
    Gary,
    I expect this is probably build #1 for the seller. Perhaps he will incorporate some of the improvements you have suggested into his next build. If Ronald pursues this, perhaps the issues that you have pointed out could be mentioned to the seller in an effort to get a better price. Ballpark, what would a comparable machine (spec wise) cost to have you build and supply to a customer? This would be nice to know for comparison.
    Thanks,
    David

One of the other members recently posted that he had paid less than 8K for a new Chinese 4 x 8 cnc router (with 4th rotary axis) that weighs around 3000 lb. I would be interested to find out more about that machine. Please elaborate.
    Thanks,
    David

I'm certain this is his first build. Gary I did notice the sloppy wiring and that was a little concerning. Having saw other custom builds where everything was meticulously routed and secured this is certainly on the sloppy side. While this can be corrected it would require some time to redo. I didn't ask about the tool setter but certainly will if I pursue further. I'm currently inquiring on another unit but have virtually no information at this time.

Ask what speeds he can get. Those ballscrews look kind of small dia for the stepper size and low pitch. You may find whip may limit speeds, closed loop steppers can often spin faster than open loop. Shouldn’t be too hard to upgrade if you do buy.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

That was me David what do you want to know? You can go to Acctek USA and see the one that I bought. They are out of Chicago. I got the 4X8 with a 4th axis rotary and a dust collector for $6800 out the door. Mine was in stock so there was no wait.

I’ve added the Centroid Acorn and an ATC to it now. I’m right around $8500 for everything

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    That was me David what do you want to know? You can go to Acctek USA and see the one that I bought. They are out of Chicago. I got the 4X8 with a 4th axis rotary and a dust collector for $6800 out the door. Mine was in stock so there was no wait.

I’ve added the Centroid Acorn and an ATC to it now. I’m right around $8500 for everything
    Hi Bobby,
    I was interested to see the machine you were referring to. If it is actually 3000 lb, then that must be a real beast!

About 6 weeks ago, with reference to the ATC Spindle kit, you posted:

"It's an unbranded Chinese watercooled Bt30 3Kw with 10 NBT30 tool holders. I was hoping to have it in yesterday, according to FedExpress but once the delivery date and time came and went, they just say it will be delivered later. It has been sitting in Japan for the last 5 days. Hopefully it will come in by my next days off. I've got my collets and claws ordered and on their way. I've tried to research ATC's but information seems to be limited from what I can find. I do know that this spindle only uses air to release and pick up the tool so what I have found seems to indicate that it doesn't have much of a compressor requirement and several people are running pretty small compressors. I've been waiting to get the spindle in to see what documentation it has on requirements before I make a decision."

You also posted a photo of the ATC spindle kit you ordered. I would like to know how it has been working out for you. Any problems? What is you assessment of the fit, finish, and operational quality of this ATC spindle kit? Where did you order it from and what was the cost and lead time? I think I remember you telling me it was around $3k or so. I think I had sent you an email or pm and you did reply, but now I can't seem to find your response. I am building another cnc router and would like to have the convenience of the ATC.

What is the ATC spindle speed range? My current air cooled spindle runs from 8000 to 24000 rpm.

Thanks,
    David

ATC spindle kit.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 09-16-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    Ask what speeds he can get. Those ballscrews look kind of small dia for the stepper size and low pitch. You may find whip may limit speeds, closed loop steppers can often spin faster than open loop. Shouldn’t be too hard to upgrade if you do buy.
    I think that perhaps rack & pinion drive may be preferable to those long lead screws.
    David

The ATC was about 1/2 that with everything in the picture. I wouldn’t have been able to justify it to my wife at 3000. I don’t remember the min rpm but it is only 18,000 max.

The spindle is operational but I have been working on where I am mounting the tool rack and learning how to configure it with Centroid so I haven’t really gotten to use it other than flycut my spoil board. Right now it is only semi automatic lol. Time has been scarce with my FT job schedule.

The ATC was about 1/2 that with everything in the picture. I wouldn’t have been able to justify it to my wife at 3000. I don’t remember the min rpm but it is only 18,000 max.

The spindle is operational but I have been working on where I am mounting the tool rack and learning how to configure it with Centroid so I haven’t really gotten to use it other than flycut my spoil board. Right now it is only semi automatic lol. Time has been scarce with my FT job schedule.
    Hi Bobby,
    That's all I really want right now is "semi-automatic" so I don't have to use wrenches to remove collets for tool changes and then rezero the Z for each different tool. I could just zero out each tool once, enter the values in the tool table, and be ready to go. I have been looking at several ATC spindle kits on Ebay. This one looks very similar to yours. Did your kit come with the water lines and electrical line shown in your photo? The one on Ebay comes from Viet Nam, but made in China.

Does the "tool rack" you mention allow for fully automatic tool changes? Please provide more information and maybe a photo and source.
    Maybe something like this: www. ebay. com/itm/Extending-ATC-Tool-Changing-Rack-with-a-tool-length-measuring-sensor-/333287819690?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Thanks
    David

www. ebay. com/itm/Combo-Spindle-ATC-BT30-3kw-max-600hz-18000rpm-6pcs-NBT30-holder-collect/183954633722
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-16-2019 at 8:54 AM. Reason: Direct links to EBAY removed. Not permitted by TOS

www. ebay. com/itm/Combo-Spindle-ATC-BT30-3kw-max-600hz-18krpm-6pcs-NBT30-holder-VFD-4kw-more/183927316252?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D82f1a 74b1d3e4f9da5a339efe3278f29%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D 2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D333287819690%26it m%3D183927316252%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D248188 8&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci% 3A901ba179-d84a-11e9-a63c-74dbd1802eea%7Cparentrq%3A38bdf77a16d0ad31c35e46ef fff980d6%7Ciid%3A1

Is who I bought from. I can’t praise him enough for all the questions he answered. In fact he sent me an email 2 days ago to check up and make sure that I had the spindle going and had no issues. It came with everything. Instead of the collets he gave me an extra tool holder. I just had to supply the air compressor.

As far as the tool rack link shown, I would like because it is pneumatic but has the wrong holders. I basically have bought all the plastic holders and am just making my own mounting for them.

If you want pictures or info let me know and I can give you what I have off this thread
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-16-2019 at 8:54 AM. Reason: Direct links to EBAY removed. Not permitted by TOS

Is who I bought from. I can’t praise him enough for all the questions he answered. In fact he sent me an email 2 days ago to check up and make sure that I had the spindle going and had no issues. It came with everything. Instead of the collets he gave me an extra tool holder. I just had to supply the air compressor.

As far as the tool rack link shown, I would like because it is pneumatic but has the wrong holders. I basically have bought all the plastic holders and am just making my own mounting for them.

If you want pictures or info let me know and I can give you what I have off this thread
    Hi Bobby,
    Yes - I would like to see pictures of your setup. I have sent you a PM with my email address.
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Bobby,
    Yes - I would like to see pictures of your setup. I have sent you a PM with my email address.
    Thanks,
    David
    i never got it so sent you one