Thread: How to tighten Grizzly G0634 planer chain

How to tighten Grizzly G0634 planer chain

I recently purchased a Grizzly G0634XP planer/jointer combination unit. I was using it yesterday, and when in the planer mode, there is a sound that I believe is the planer's chain slapping something. The sound is not present when used as a jointer. There appears to be a great deal of slack in the chain. I've looked through the instructions, and can't find an explanation for how to tighten the chain. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

I looked at manual and see no reference to adjusting either. If it has excessive slack just replace it. Not knowing where you are located I don't know what sources you have available to you. It's probably only a #35 or possibly #40 roller chain. Farm stores are a great source for chain if you have any in your area. Look for a master link and take it apart. Worst case scenario it might be an endless chain but that is still easily defeated with a chain breaker. It doesn't require much wear in a chain that short to become loose. I take it you bought it used so no telling how much run time there might be on it. Most likely it was a low quality chain anyway. Almost anything you get is likely going to be an upgrade. Let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks for the reply!

It’s a brand new unit, and probably only has a couple hours on it so far. Is having to swap out a chain that soon common? I know the belts often need to be tightened after a break in period.

Blog Entries
    I’ll just caution that some chain paths involve more slack than one might think should be there. I would call grizzly and confirm what the chain path should look like when normal. There is nothing more frustrating than creating a problem by trying to fix something that isn’t actually broke.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-14-2019 at 7:28 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is it common for there to be enough where the chain slaps on the inside of the machine?

There might be a chain tensioner on it. It looks like a piece of heavy gauge wire bent to slide on the chain and held in place with a small bolt.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

My Jet JJP-12 has a pretty sloppy roller chain as well. I don't see a way to tighten it and it doesn't make any noise - runs pretty slow so I've let well enough alone.

I there enough slack to remove one link? Motorcycle shops have chainbreakers bigger then bicycle shops. Farm stores bigger yet.
    Bill D.

Is there actually a chain or is it belt driven? I just looked at the drawing and my old eyes might have missed it but all I saw were belts. Also, in the setup/alignment section it recommends after 16 hours of use following a belt change, one retighten the belts due to normal stretching.

Call Grizzly tech support on Monday!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

There are two roller chains Ken. If it's new which that wasn't clear in the initial post contact Grizzly tomorrow and talk to their techs. They can tell you if it's adjustable or a chain tensioner of any type is there. I don't see it in the parts break down but that doesn't mean anything. That should be your first step is contacting them for assistance. If there is any issue they have a great reputation for making it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Milos View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

It’s a brand new unit, and probably only has a couple hours on it so far. Is having to swap out a chain that soon common? I know the belts often need to be tightened after a break in period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    There are two roller chains Ken. If it's new which that wasn't clear in the initial post contact Grizzly tomorrow and talk to their techs. They can tell you if it's adjustable or a chain tensioner of any type is there. I don't see it in the parts break down but that doesn't mean anything. That should be your first step is contacting them for assistance. If there is any issue they have a great reputation for making it right.
    Ronald, thanks! I looked at the drawings and didn't see the chains. In the OPs 2nd post which I also quoted, he says it's a new unit with only a couple hours on it. I'd contact Grizzly first if it is ,indeed, under warrantee.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-15-2019 at 6:22 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....