Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW 735 planer is hard to raise and lower

DW 735 planer is hard to raise and lower

My 735 is really hard to raise and lower.
    Is this a common issue? What can I do to keep it raising smoothly? Thanks in advance!
    He who hesitates is lunch.

I don't have that model planer so I can only speculate. The tract where the head raises and lowers probably needs to be cleaned and lubricated with a dry lubricant. Also there is probably gears and chains which work the mechanism that need to be lubricated.

I had a DW735 for a couple of years and it moved up an down very smoothly.

Getting to the gears and chain for raising/lowering the depth is fairly easy. Search for DW735 Shelix on YouTube, lots of good videos that show this.

You can then check to make sure everything is meshed up nicely.and lubed

Dave, I just bought that planer new at H.D. online. I had the same problem with the first one and ended up sending it back. The second one works fine.

It is not a lubrication issue- lube won’t hurt but it probably won’t fix it. It is usually caused by a slightly bent post or a misalignment in the gears on each post and the chain that connects them.

If your planer is new I would recommend you return it. If not there are some online threads that discuss how to fix it yourself. It is a pretty involved process but worth the time if you have to do it. I cant remember where I found them or I would post links for you. I found them using google.

Wise words

Both of you are not the first one. It looks that kind of bad mounting is not rare as I also have a friend that have similar problem. Change it if you can as it is one of the best lunchbox planner in the market.

(it would be also my choice but it was difficult to get one in my home area so I went to Makita... and I am glad with that)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Dave, I just bought that planer new at H.D. online. I had the same problem with the first one and ended up sending it back. The second one works fine.

It is not a lubrication issue- lube won’t hurt but it probably won’t fix it. It is usually caused by a slightly bent post or a misalignment in the gears on each post and the chain that connects them.

If your planer is new I would recommend you return it. If not there are some online threads that discuss how to fix it yourself. It is a pretty involved process but worth the time if you have to do it. I cant remember where I found them or I would post links for you. I found them using google.

I've owned mine for almost 10 years and haven't had any problems raising or lowering. If that problem exists with others then I'd wonder if the manufacturing process isn't as good as it used to be. I'd see if you can return it for a new one or refund and buy one locally so you can see hands on before buying whether the same problem exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I've owned mine for almost 10 years and haven't had any problems raising or lowering. If that problem exists with others then I'd wonder if the manufacturing process isn't as good as it used to be. I'd see if you can return it for a new one or refund and buy one locally so you can see hands on before buying whether the same problem exists.
    I have owned mine for a few months. Only problems are operator errors.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Those Shelix cutter heads look impressive

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I had a DW735 for a couple of years and it moved up an down very smoothly.

Getting to the gears and chain for raising/lowering the depth is fairly easy. Search for DW735 Shelix on YouTube, lots of good videos that show this.

You can then check to make sure everything is meshed up nicely.and lubed

I put one in mine, it was very good, but I eventually bought a more powerful planer.

I've had mine for 10 years and have no trouble raising or lowering. Very smooth and effortless.
    Cheers,

Tim

As others have said, it shouldn’t be hard.

If you've had the planer for a while, then it's possible that the height adjustment mechanism is clogged with wood chips. I have two friends with this planer, and both have had that problem. They had to take the cover off of the planer, remove a dust shroud, and remove all of the chips that were causing things to bind.

--Geoff

Blog Entries
    I have the 734 planer, I periodically open it up and clean the mechanism. A small amount of lubrication helps.

If somehow the chain jumps a tooth on one of the sprockets that ride on the corner posts, you could have a binding problem making raising and lowering the 735 planer difficult. I you dropped the head down to the bottom, being careful to turn the cutter head so the blades don't touch, and then remove the chain. Then make certain that all four of the sprockets are turned down against the base before re-installing the chain. Also, make certain as you are doing this that each sprocket turns easily as you turn it down against the base. Be careful not to let a sprocket turn off this base position as you replace the chain tightener and you should discover that the head now moves up and down easily.

I haven't had this problem with my 735 planer, at least not yet, but have worked on similar 4 post industrial equipment with a chain and sprockets to raise and lower them, and this was almost always the reason why they became difficult to raise and lower. One of you might try this, and then report back on the results.

Charley

15. 735 planer post?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Winters View Post
    My 735 is really hard to raise and lower.
    Is this a common issue? What can I do to keep it raising smoothly? Thanks in advance!
    Tooth on post sprocket broken off. Covers off, down to naked post.
    Anyone had to deal with this?