Thread: Using 80 YO Cedarfor boxes?

Using 80 YO Cedarfor boxes?

Let me start with the fact that I am diagnosed with COPD; For those of you unfamiliar, it means that over my working career I breathed in traffic exhaust, drywall dust, wood dust, and many other pollutants, which gives me ~ 50% of my age's ability to process oxygen.
    My issue: I took down my 75 year old Cedar fence and replaced it. I now have all these rough-sawn 5/4 cedar slats. Many of them are admittedly beyond saving with rot, but some are salvageable.
    Any other contractor would have had these things in the dump/recycling depot already, but I'm looking at the tight grain on the ends and wondering if even just with hand tools, some of this wood can be used.
    On one hand the hoarder says use it; on the other hand, the pragmatist says it's soft, a lot of cutting and fussing, and I actually have a new piece in the shop which can be sawn and surfaced to make a memory box for my granddaughter.
    Could I get some opinions? Recycle or reuse.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I like western red cedar it smells great and looks great. It’s also pretty stable when dry.
    But it makes my nose run and I’m grown sensitive to and dust particles. If I had COPD I would stay away from it.
    Good Luck
    Aj

You could use it for raised flower or garden beds in the yard.
    < insert spurious quote here >

A 3M full face respirator with two P100 filter cartridges will let you work any wood without the dust affecting your lungs. What kind of cedar? If weathered, that might be used to your advantage.

John, in this area Western Red is the normal go-to. I also use an Elipse NOS 100 cartridge respirator.
    I'm not skin sensitive since I am almost always covered up.
    And yes, it's extremely weathered.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Let me start with the fact that I am diagnosed with COPD
    Horrible way to go since it's mostly invisible.
    Have you gotten to the oxygen tank point yet?

I fell off the couch a month ago and twisted my ankle all to crap & have been trying to hobble around on a cane & dragging an oxygen tank along behind me,

Anyhow - cedar.

Cedar doesn't burn that great so using it in a fire is pretty much out.
    Cedar is prone to making a bazillion little annoying itty bitty needle sharp splinters that stick in every part of you.

I made some planter boxes out of some cedar fencing a dozen or so years ago. I really doubt if I'd ever bother again.

Good luck w/the breathing.
    Do they stick it to you up there for medication?
    Stuff down here (Symbiort) that runs about $11 everywhere else in the world is $800.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon