Thread: Craftsman Router Crafter

Craftsman Router Crafter

I recently bought a Craftsman Router Crafter at a yard sale. This particular one is the 720.25250. I downloaded the instructions for it online but they turned out to be for a 720.25251. I believe they are virtually identical to each other. However, I know from mine and others like mine on ebay the 25250 comes with a steel rod about 3/16 diameter and 6 to 8 inches long. This item does not show up in the 25251 manual and I have been unable to find the actual 25250 manual on line. It is probably nothing to significant but now it has become one of those thing that I just need to know. Can anybody with the 25250 manual tell me what this is? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have a Craftsman Router Crafter, if you post a photo of the part maybe I can tell you what it does.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That certainly would simplify things.

Doug,

I have the same model and the instructions say it is to prevent the electrical connection to the router from being damaged. Basically it is a stop to prevent the sliding mechanism from tilting too far and squashing the cord where it enters the router.
    Engineer, Carter Products.

Jeff, I knew it couldn't be anything to high tech but I just couldn't figure it out. Do you know if it is intended to mount on the router itself or somewhere on the crafter?
    Thank you for your assistance.

Doug

Doug,

It attaches someplace on the plastic piece the router is mounted onto.

Has anyone ever made anything with this tool that would care to share some pictures or experience? I bought it from EBay because it looked interesting but have never tried to make anything.
    Engineer, Carter Products.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Folkert View Post
    Has anyone ever made anything with this tool that would care to share some pictures or experience? I bought it from EBay because it looked interesting but have never tried to make anything.
    I made several lamps, some handles for candle lighters at our church and a few other things. The candle lighters had a neat spiral pattern that could be done with the crafter. What I found was that your selection of contours was limited to your assortment of bits and many bits could not be used at all. There is a template guide on mine that is supposed to let you make more complex curves, but the depth of cut of round nose and straight bits is pretty limited. I haven't used mine for years. One problem with the original design was the plastic used for the pulleys was not UV stable and degraded over time to the point of failure. I had to have a friend make me replacement pulleys out of aluminum to keep mine functional.

You are pretty limited on maximum diameter for turnings. I did make an adapter that fit into the cup style head stock that let me work with pieces that did not fit into the cup of the headstock.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-07-2014 at 2:08 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought one. Ooops?

I saw this thing at a yard sale and no idea what it actually was, but the price was right - original box (from Sears, 1993) and manual so I shelled out.

I have no need to make fluted parts or spiraled chair legs, so what do I do with it?

Blog Entries
    Door stop....I'm not sure those things still have support..

I actually bought one two years ago and have not
    touched it yet... I hope to eventually do something with it...
    Last edited by jack duren; 09-13-2019 at 7:51 PM.

There is a discussion now on Router Forums about Router Crafters, but the title of the post is "Barley Sugar Router Attachment". In that post I added a link to a long earlier post about them and the similar version that was a project in Woodsmith. It's interesting reading, and worth looking into if you want to know more about the subject.

Charley

Blog Entries
    I'm unable to get back on Router Forums. When I ask for a new password it sends nothing to my email. Don't know whats going on

Jack,

Are you sure that you are asking for a new password using your original sign-on name? It has to match their records or this will happen. Then, the new password sent needs to be copied and pasted to avoid typing errors. It's a very secure password system that is sometimes a bear to use.

Charley