Thread: HVLP spray gun hookup questions ...

Cool HVLP spray gun hookup questions ...

Hello all ...
    I have a few questions and hope to get on my way.
    I want to get into HVLP for my woodworking projects.
    I was considering the Wagner 5000 HVLP sprayer, but I am not crazy about the plastic.
    I need to keep the cost around $200. I know that limits me from really good stuff, but that's my budget talking to me!
    I have several 3 stage turbines on Craigslist that I am considering. They are around $100 for used.
    One is a Turbinaire TSG-8993Xa CapSpray CS5100, and a American Turbine-953. All good units as I understand.
    I will be doing a little latex spraying, but the bulk of my spraying will be stain or oil based.
    As I understand, stage 3 is adequate for latex (possibly with up to a 10% thinning).
    However one of the turbines does not come with hose and spray gun, and the others are a maybe.
    My main question is this ...
    Can I get one of the HVLP spray guns from Harbor Freight and hook it to a turbine? Maybe the purple ones or a step or two up from them.
    The HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight is designed to run from a compressor as I understand it.
    Is it possible to make that connection to turbine?
    I have not actually seen a turbine hose, but understand it has fittings similar to a garden hose. True or not?
    I need to figure out if it is possible to connect that spray gun or one similar to it to the turbine hose.
    Confused? I am!
    Any comments on the Turbinaire, American Turbine, or CapSpray? Good units? Or no?
    Anyway, thanks for listening.
    Bob

The HF and other guns designed to run off compressed air are not compatible with turbine units, even if you could get a coupling to connect the two together. Turbine guns are low pressure all the way. Conversion guns take relatively high pressure inlet air and produce low pressure at atomization.

John

HVLP hookup

Thank you.
    That is what I wanted to know.
    I found a used HVLP turbine, hose, and spray gun, so I am all set.
    Just need to learn how to use it!
    Bob