Thread: price for rusted powermatic 15HH planer

price for rusted powermatic 15HH planer

I'll risk someone else swooping in to find this:

Local seller of a 2013 powermatic 15" helical planer. Claims motor is fine but the stands are rusted so I assume the bed is rusted also. A couple helical inserts need replaced.

Is there a risk the helical head is damaged by rust as well? How hard is it to take one of these apart?

For reference I have an old Makita 2030 that I've taken completely apart, cleaned, and reassembled. Wasn't too hard.

Not sure what a fair price would be here, I'm thinking it would have to be down near $1000? Not that my wife is going to approve anyway.
    Last edited by Thomas Crawford; 09-13-2019 at 3:21 PM.

I would have to say that’s a pretty good price considering the helical head would cost a 1/3 to 1/2 of the price. Since you are familiar with complete teardowns if it’s just needs a good clean up and everything works it sounds like a good deal. Probably cost 2500 plus new so it’s worth checking it out.
    Don

It all depends on the amount of rust and where it’s crept to.

I bought a similar 15” planer (sans helical head) a few years back and paid around $400 I think. HH should be fine itself, but of course might need cutters as you pointed out. Can you get pictures?

Blog Entries
    was it left outside or just surface rust from not being used?

If the insert screws are rusted in place that could be a problem. They are probably under a cover and never saw direct rain. You may have to shatter the insert to remove the screw on a few.
    Rusted tables are not a problem unless the sliding surface that moves it up and down is really bad. Best not to adjust the table until it is cleaned or you will score the sliding surface.
    The flat surface the wood moves over is not really that precise to begin with so a little sanding to get it smooth will not hurt anything. It is not like a scraped sliding fit in cast iron.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    I'd spray everything down and let it sit awhile if purchased..

Have you checked it out yet ? If you got it at around a grand that would be a pretty good deal.

Thomas.

That is basically the same planer Powermatic has been selling for 25 years or more. There's nothing exotic about it, other than the helical head. Parts are readily available, but I doubt it would need much unless it's been sitting outside is is really rusted and pitted.I have the lower priced Jet version of that planer, and have had it apart more than once.
    Cleaning up the table and posts is pretty easy. The parts that are difficult to get at are the anti kickback pawls. If the bed and posts are rusty, so are the pawls, and they will lock up together and not function properly.
    The worst mine ever got, I have non climate controlled shop, took me a few hours to get it clean. A can or two of contact cleaner, AeroKroil, some Acetone and it new looking again. It's a very simple design.
    Mine is no more difficult to take apart, than your Makita, probably easier, the parts are just heavier. There is no shortage of YouTube video's showing you how to do it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thomas don't leave us hanging in suspense. Did you buy the planer ?

I didn't get a response - I'm going to ping them again. It was sitting in non climate-controlled storage. Pictures make it seem like the bed isn't bad, just mainly the support posts.

They want $1800. Seems steep. I see them in good shape around here a few times a year for around $2000.

My long term plan has always been a Hammer A3-41 but I've been reconsidering that. I have enough room in the shop for dedicated machines. Although I've always wanted a big jointer.

Went and saw it today. Bought it, will pick it up next week. Going to be quite a bit of work, there's a LOT of rust, seems like surface. A few missing carbide inserts. Lots of bolts to replace. But I think it will be worth it.

I'll probably do a restoration thread, not really old iron but could be interesting for someone else.