Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard case w/foam insert for shaper cutters

Hard case w/foam insert for shaper cutters

I've just purchased my first set of shaper cutter tooling, and the case it came in is flimsy and awkward to snap open and closed.

I was thinking about purchasing a hard case with a foam insert that can be cut up to hold the main cutter and the individual blades.

Searching online mostly shows camera equipment cases. I'm reasonably certain this would work fine for the shaper tooling, but I'm not sure?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to things I should look out for? Or types of foam that would be better for cutting tools? Or good ways to cut the foam (that don't involve a CNC)?

Thanks.

Those camera equipment cases are very high quality, especially the ones meant for taking on an airplane in checked luggage.

Some of my cutters from Garniga came with nice wood boxes with hinged lids. One evening I was bored so I made a few for the larger cutters. For small ones I'm used snap lock lid food storage boxes. I use this brand and another and they come in multiple sizes. Sistema KLIP IT

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ha! Tupperware is a great idea, I didn't even think of that.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of Garniga boxes or your own wooden boxes handy?

Search for Kaizen foam to see some options for easily configured foam. You could use it with any type of case that suits you.

Don't make this more expensive that it needs to be. Make your own box from scrap wood. Make each one just a bit larger than the cutter it holds, and don't worry about foam. The cutter will rattle a bit, but only travel a few millimeters, and only bang against wood.

The cutter doesn't need to be pampered that much. Just a simple homemade wooden box would be fine. It just needs something to keep steel from bumping steel.

Blog Entries
    Made one recently from some spare material for my depth gauge. The original box was spray painted and looked horrendous.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I don't have a super expensive collection of them, but I do have a quite a few.
    I keep mine in those plastic containers from the deli'. These are the ones that didn't come with nice protective plastic boxes. They're clear, have a lid, are about 4" in diameter, and 1-1/2" tall. If I have to keep cutters separated, I put some heavy cardboard between them and run a short dowel through them.
    I've thought about making nice wooden boxes for them, but just never quite got there. Maybe some day.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Joe really like the Systema containers you found. I may buy a couple of those,thanks for posting that.

Brian, why am i not surprised? Even your utility boxes are gorgeous. A true craftsman through and through. Although i am not easily impressed, your work always impresses me.

Running for President of the BH fan club

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Patrick! Very much appreciated!

There is something about wooden machinist tool boxes that I enjoy. I plan to make a few more here and there.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like cutting the foam inserts, but if you like you can wrap your cutter in plastic or something, then squirt expanding insulation foam in around it and let it set up. You then have a custom pocket.

Or I recently made a small vacuum forming press that works for inserts.

I tend to find misc boxes from other products to redisposition. (like pipette tip boxes)

Make yourself a storage cabinet like Timothy Wilmot made for his tooling......A quick google search will turn up the video....Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Don't make this more expensive that it needs to be. Make your own box from scrap wood. Make each one just a bit larger than the cutter it holds, and don't worry about foam. The cutter will rattle a bit, but only travel a few millimeters, and only bang against wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    The cutter doesn't need to be pampered that much. Just a simple homemade wooden box would be fine. It just needs something to keep steel from bumping steel.
    I'm with Jamie and Edward. Foam isn't needed for shaper cutters, and it can actually cause problems, in my experience. Humidity condenses on the cold steel, and then the foam keeps it there. Leaving a gun in a foam-lined gun case is the fastest way, short of storing it under seawater, of rusting it into a lump of pig iron.

(Not that rust is going to ruin your shaper cutters, but still – )
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 09-15-2019 at 5:21 PM.