Thread: Dust Collector With Prefilter ?

Dust Collector With Prefilter ?

I'm in the beginning stages of planning/building & setting up a dust collector in my garage.
    My plan is to build a Thien Baffle style at first & then probably upgrade later on to a cyclone.
    Thien Baffle.jpg

Being I'm planning ahead for a regular cyclone later on, I'll be mounting the blower section as high as possible in my garage to give me the most room I can get underneath the blower.

I watched this old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6kBkrE_4us and it shows a different way of converting a dust collector into a Thien style system.

I will have a cartage style filter after the blower, But the video above gives me the idea of possibly making some type of pre-filter box in the extra space I have planned for a cyclone later on.

Just curious if anyone has added some type of pre-filter after the separator, But before the blower?

Doug

John made that video back in 2013, I bet if you asked him what would he would do different it would probably be plenty.
    i think that investing in a cyclone you will be ahead of the game in stead of the thien baffle style not knocking Phil.
    I built a system with a Baldor 2 hp motor with a 12 inch impeller and a Wynn environmental filter to filter the exhaust.
    and a Supper Dust Deputy Cyclone (5 inch system) I am happy with what I have, however if I had it to do over again I would seriously consider a designed and engineered system with even better efficiency with a 6 inch duct system. Yes 6 inches adds to cost in ducting and blast gates but I think it is worth it in the end especially if this where you will plant your self for many years. You can see what I made if you search my name on the forum.
    i will say the best thing I added was the bin sensor. I made that from parts less than $30.00.
    i have built an automated blast gate system that I will incorporate very soon that uses an Arduino Micro Controller when a tool starts up that blast gate opens and the other close.
    Good luck let us know how it turns out.
    I will your idea of building it tall for the future Cyclone is a good idea!

Blog Entries
    Why would you want a filter between the separator & blower? That adds complexity to the system with no benefit. The separate has already removed the large chunks that you don't want going through the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Why would you want a filter between the separator & blower? That adds complexity to the system with no benefit.
    Probably because I like complexity & doing things differently.

All kidding aside, I was just wondering if it would help any with the finer dust that would end up in the output filter.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post
    I think that investing in a cyclone you will be ahead of the game in stead of the thien baffle style not knocking Phil.
    Yeah I agree with you on that!
    Unfortunately my current budget is in the "Use What You Have" mode & I already have most of the materials on-hand for the Thien Baffle.

I built a system with a Baldor 2 hp motor with a 12 inch impeller and a Wynn environmental filter to filter the exhaust.

If I had it to do over again I would seriously consider a designed and engineered system with even better efficiency with a 6 inch duct system.
    Do you think your current system with a Baldor 2 hp motor with a 12 inch impeller would work ok with 6" ducts?

From what I've read 5" ducting is the "Sweet-Spot" for a 2hp blower with a 12" impeller, Which is what I have.
    IMG_2460.JPG
    The blower section came from a Cincinnati 2hp. 3ph. dust collector model# 200S like this one.
    Cincinnati 200S C-L Pic..jpg

your idea of building it tall for the future Cyclone is a good idea!
    Here's a picture of what it may eventually look like with a cyclone.
    E-Bay Cyclone.jpg

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    adds complexity to the system
    As for adding complexity to the system, I'm already doing that with my exhaust filter set-up.

I picked up several surplus canister filters awhile ago from a machinery surplus store.
    The filters were never used & sat in cardboard boxes for several years.
    They were made for a commercial dust collector that used multiple canister filters & the air-flow direction was designed to flow from the out-side to the in-side.
    Filter Cratridge Side.jpgIMG_4755.JPG

Of course this is opposite of what is usually used for regular style dust collectors, But I got 4 of them for $100 so I figured I could come up with something
    I gave 1 to a friend which levees me 3 to work with. One for the prototype set-up, If everything works ok I'll have two back-up filters.

I've been known for doing things "Backwards" so I figured I would start with building a cabinet for the filter first. With only a two car garage space is also a issue for me, So I started in a corner where I originally had my air compressor.
    IMG_4741.JPG
    My plans are to locate the air compressor next to the filter cabinet & then have the dust collector next to the compressor.

I'm still working on this filter cabinet set-up, But here's what I have so-far.
    IMG_5549.JPGIMG_5524.JPGIMG_5554.JPGIMG_5546.JPG

My next challenge is trying to figure out some type of bottom drawer set-up that can collect any excess dust from the cabinet?

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Walls; 09-13-2019 at 3:42 PM.

I had a Thein baffle that worked well with my (little) Rockler Dust Right. It was a major improvement in my single-garage shop and caught 95% or more.

But adding another filter is going to decrease your suction. Probably significantly. And it'll be one more filter to clean.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Latham View Post
    I had a Thein baffle that worked well with my (little) Rockler Dust Right. It was a major improvement in my single-garage shop and caught 95% or more.
    That would be great if I can get 95% out of a Thien Baffle!

Doug

John made that video back in 2013, I bet if you asked him what would he would do different it would probably be plenty.
    I didn't try to get in touch with John, But I ran across this other video he made that may explain why not much more was posted on his old set-up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=u6TOOYlfITo

Doug

I've decided to try and build a regular cyclone instead of going with the "Thien Baffle" Here's a link to a new thread I started https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....lone-Separator

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    That would be great if I can get 95% out of a Thien Baffle!

Doug
    I realize that another thread has been started by Doug, but thought that I would opine on this thread. I built a Thien baffle for my 2 HP Harbor Fright Dust collector. Unless I overload the baffle with a huge "gulp" of dust and chips I don't see anything leaving the dust collector. I vent outside (because of my warm climate) and under normal operating loads, I never see anything blowing out the exhaust. Also, the stuff that I collect in the 35 gallon galvanized trash can consists of everything from coarse pieces, a few pieces of sand paper and also a lot of "fines". So I suspect that I am getting at least 95% collection. Because I exhaust outside, it doesn't really matter if I'm collecting 95% or 99%. In the last year I've dumped perhaps 150 gallons of collections but don't see anything piling up outside by my exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I built a Thien baffle for my 2 HP Harbor Fright Dust collector. Unless I overload the baffle with a huge "gulp" of dust and chips I don't see anything leaving the dust collector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I suspect that I am getting at least 95% collection.
    Thanks for the info. Brice!

It's good to know that a Thien Baffle will work that good.

Even though I've decided to build a regular cyclone for my main dust collection system, I also have a 16gal. Ridgid shop-vac that I'm thinking of adding a Thien Baffle to.

Doug