Thread: Flexible LED Penlight for Router

Flexible LED Penlight for Router

Hello,
    Bosch came out with a clear base and LED light for their new Colt, but I don't particularly want to buy a new router just to get an LED light. I suspect several folks have tried "duck taping" on a flexible LED penlight to their router as a DIY solution for greater light...So, if anyone has tried to rig up a penlight I'd be interested in knowing how well it worked, and which penlight they used...or if the vibration of the router makes this a bad idea to begin with.
    Thanks!
    Izzy

I think taping a penlight to a router is likely to keep falling off. Here's two other possible approaches:

1) Wear a LED headlamp. Clunky, but better than nothing.

2) LED light ring. Here's one fitted to a bigger router than yours, but you can buy smaller rings. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=light

Just yesterday, I saw a small LED light head with about a 3" flexible gooseneck connection to the battery box that might be perfect for use with a router. It was in the sewing section of my local Walmart. Sorry, I made mental note of it, but didn't pursue it further, since I don't need a light like this right now.

Charley

I used two BUTTON LAMP Adhesive LEDs Lights that I purchased on Amazon for less than $10. They stick on the bottom of the router, and you have to turn them on individually. I trimmed them to make the fit better.

They come in a package of six, I have found other uses for them outside of my shop. Overall works pretty well, inexpensive, doesn't interfere with the operation of the router, and are easy to install. A few pictures attached.

Bob

IMG_6883.jpgIMG_6892.jpgIMG_6894.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    I used two BUTTON LAMP Adhesive LEDs Lights that I purchased on Amazon for less than $10. They stick on the bottom of the router, and you have to turn them on individually. I trimmed them to make the fit better.

They come in a package of six, I have found other uses for them outside of my shop. Overall works pretty well, inexpensive, doesn't interfere with the operation of the router, and are easy to install. A few pictures attached.

Bob
    The Amazon offering calls them "disposable". What does that mean? Do you throw the whole thing away when the battery runs out?

Jamie, in the product description, it indicates that they use CR-2032 lithium batteries. It might be the batteries are replaceable?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jamie, in the product description, it indicates that they use CR-2032 lithium batteries. It might be the batteries are replaceable?
    Perhaps. But the product description does say disposable. It also says "waterproof". Making something waterproof, but also allowing you to take it apart to replace the batteries -- that's challenging.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I don't think they are replaceable, but when they die, it shouldn't be too hard to open them up and recycle the batteries. Not a perfect solution, but probably accounts for the small form factor and price.

Bob