Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida Mini Gorilla one year later

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    We have an older 5HP cyclone (all steel) as well as one thats the newer 5HP with the plastic and there is no comparison. The 5HP w/plastic is fine til you hit the plastic. All steel cone, and top side, but the elbow to the filter is plastic (and suppose to be supported with a cable/turnbuckle above). The filter is held with these PITA J bolts and plastic wheel nuts. The gaskets on the filter are roached (same strip style but thats what came with the all steel version). Our all steel has these nice spring catch type deals that clip the filter to the cyclone and the catch cup to the bottom in seconds. Getting the filter off with the plastic j-bolts sucks.

Beyond that zero complaints. They both move plenty of air. Greasable motors, top quality. I was bummed when we got the plastic version and dont like it to this day. Weve re-sealed the cone with elastomeric because the foam tape fails.

Its the way of the world. All you have to do is watch sharktank. Over delivering on quality as opposed to hard focus on margins is a thing of the past. Eventually everyone caves. Sadly the consumer has been reprogrammed that this is the norm so when the last of you are weeded out (which they are waiting for) it will just be an overall consumer based acceptance of getting less than what you thought and the need to tinker, repair, replace, etc..
    I've got a V-5000 that has a plastic blower housing & cyclone. The gaskets haven't been a problem, but those J-bolts that hold on the filter are a pain. I hate them. The plastic is quieter though, so there is that. Another thing I don't like is the super stiff flex that connects the bottom of the cyclone to the drum. Makes emptying a chore. So, some good, some bad.

I've had a mini-gorilla for about a year, and overall am pretty pleased. I use 4" flex hose with quick connectors at each tool. Also, I just use large black 33gal trash bags from Sams and although they are way thinner (I think 1.1 mil) they work great, and haven't been a problem at all. It stays in a corner of the shop and is activated by a Long Ranger remote. Only thing is I wish it was quieter, but really I just wish I had a bigger shop and wasn't in a neighborhood, so I could have a monster unit in a soundproofed closet with the exhaust going outside.

One of the beneficial changes on the MG from the original metal version (besides plastic), is a much easier means of removing and reattaching the filter (no more J bolts). The tripod legs are much better supported too.

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer plastic over metal in the right applications. The MG is one of those right applications. The plastic is plenty tough enough for anything a 1.5 HP blower is going to suck up (through the 5" plastic/wire flex hose) anyway.

I still prefer a cast iron top on my table saw and router table...

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I realize that this is an old thread, but perhaps there's still interest:

I've had the mini-gorilla for 1.5 years, using it mostly for my planer and jointer. Basically, I like the thing, but do have
    one complaint: I find it hard to keep the bag from sometimes bunching up inside the drum during operation. A little of
    this is no problem, but occasionally it is severe enough to basically close off the bag. Then everything dumps into the hepa
    and cleaning that out is a pain.

I'm guessing that this problem has something to do with either drum gasket not sealing well enough or the pressure equilization
    being blocked. Any ideas?

My 5HP Oneida has a large plastic cylinder that you put inside the trash bag, and this avoids the problem. I've heard of vacuum solutions too.

Does the Mini-gorilla not have this as an option to purchase?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eisenstein View Post

I've had the mini-gorilla for 1.5 years, using it mostly for my planer and jointer. Basically, I like the thing, but do have
    one complaint: I find it hard to keep the bag from sometimes bunching up inside the drum during operation. A little of
    this is no problem, but occasionally it is severe enough to basically close off the bag. Then everything dumps into the hepa

I'm guessing that this problem has something to do with either drum gasket not sealing well enough or the pressure equilization
    Another work-around for this is to pickup a piece of FRP panel from the home center (thin plastic paneling) and cut it to the height of the interior of your drum and a piece a couple inches longer than the interior circumference. Put a bag in your drum, and coil the FRP inside, tighten up the coil to leave you some slack, and pop rivet the FRP coil into the cylinder Alan mentions. Drill a couple holes in the top of the FRP and knot some rope handles. Now when you drop your bag in you just drop in the cylinder, pull it out with the rope handles when full, and pull your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eisenstein View Post

Jim, there is a clear plastic tube that runs from near the top of the unit to the side base of the black plastic drum that provides suction to keep the back in place. Sometimes this plastic tube can get kinked. Do you have the tube in place?

8. For my smallish (12x24) basement shop (table saw, 8" Jointer, 15" planer) I am deciding between the Mini Gorilla and the Rocker 1250 Dust Right with Canister filter and a Dust Deputy. I only use one machine at a time and all are on mobile bases. The plan is to have the DC in one spot and move the tools into working position which will be near the DC. Oneida has the reputation and my inclination is to buy the Mini Gorilla and not worry about the higher price of the Rockler machine. Can a Wynn cartridge improve overall dust collection with the mini gorilla or is their filter just as good?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Russell View Post
    For my smallish (12x24) basement shop (table saw, 8" Jointer, 15" planer) I am deciding between the Mini Gorilla and the Rocker 1250 Dust Right with Canister filter and a Dust Deputy. I only use one machine at a time and all are on mobile bases. The plan is to have the DC in one spot and move the tools into working position which will be near the DC. Oneida has the reputation and my inclination is to buy the Mini Gorilla and not worry about the higher price of the Rockler machine. Can a Wynn cartridge improve overall dust collection with the mini gorilla or is their filter just as good?
    I've got a Rockler 1250 with cannister filter and super dust deputy. It works well but takes up almost 2'X3' in my 12'X19' shop. I'm going to be looking for another solution later this year.
    The cannister filter is 1 micron, so mini gorilla is better as it is a true hepa filter. My cannister is coming a bit loose as I've moved the unit a few times and the connection is bending a bit.
    One good thing about the rockler is the inlet is 6" without the 4"wye that comes with it. So I'm using a short 6" flexible house from the 1250 to my cyclone separator. Good suction. I keep making the mistake of sucking up wood shaving from hand planes. The thin shavings don't drop into the dust deputy and get sucked right up into the intake of the dust collector and get stuck in the 6" hose and inlet. I have to then get a ladder and take the hose off to clean it out.
    I like the idea of the Mini Gorilla on wheels in a small shop. It would be a huge pain to move the 1250 from its current location.
    Hope that helps you a bit.

10. Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    I've got a Rockler 1250 with cannister filter and super dust deputy. It works well but takes up almost 2'X3' in my 12'X19' shop. I'm going to be looking for another solution later this year.
    The cannister filter is 1 micron, so mini gorilla is better as it is a true hepa filter. My cannister is coming a bit loose as I've moved the unit a few times and the connection is bending a bit.
    One good thing about the rockler is the inlet is 6" without the 4"wye that comes with it. So I'm using a short 6" flexible house from the 1250 to my cyclone separator. Good suction. I keep making the mistake of sucking up wood shaving from hand planes. The thin shavings don't drop into the dust deputy and get sucked right up into the intake of the dust collector and get stuck in the 6" hose and inlet. I have to then get a ladder and take the hose off to clean it out.
    I like the idea of the Mini Gorilla on wheels in a small shop. It would be a huge pain to move the 1250 from its current location.
    Hope that helps you a bit.
    The helps, thanks for the reply. Without going to something like the Harvey 700, it seems the Mini Gorilla is my best bet.

The helps, thanks for the reply. Without going to something like the Harvey 700, it seems the Mini Gorilla is my best bet.
    The other option I've been mulling around in my head for my own small shop is Oneida's Supercell. Biggest drawback that I can see is the noise level. Maybe an enclosure with sound dampening foam might help.
    Anyway, that might be an option as well. I've never seen one or heard much about them from people who own one.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    The other option I've been mulling around in my head for my own small shop is Oneida's Supercell. Biggest drawback that I can see is the noise level. Maybe an enclosure with sound dampening foam might help.
    Anyway, that might be an option as well. I've never seen one or heard much about them from people who own one.
    I replaced an old 2HP dust collector with a Supercell and don't notice much difference in the noise. I always run the dust collector, then and now, while wearing both earplugs and earmuffs, so that might be a factor.

Just curious. Why did you not consider Jet or Grizzly? I’m currently in the market and am wondering if the mini-gorilla is on par or better than similar dust collectors from jet
    Or grizzly at that price

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Diaz View Post
    Just curious. Why did you not consider Jet or Grizzly? I’m currently in the market and am wondering if the mini-gorilla is on par or better than similar dust collectors from jet
    Or grizzly at that price
    Peter, the Oneida Mini Gorilla has a HEPA filter, eliminating small dust particles down to 0.3 microns. I believe this is important. I do not see any comparable filtration numbers looking at the second brand you mentioned.