Thread: Versa Vise Restoration

Versa Vise Restoration

I was looking for a small universal type vise and learned about the Versa Vise. I hadn't seen one before and found an early production model. Now I need to make a few dog hole mounts for my work bench and MFT3 tables. I think it will be very handy for woodworking tasks. The dynamic jaw presses on a cam pivot when tightened and locks its position on the post mount. A nice feature of this vise is the flat faced tall jaws which will help reduce marring the work.

Are there any vise experts here who might know the years of manufacture for these original tall jaw versions ?

Versa Vise before.
    Versa Vise Before.jpg

Disassembled, de-rusted, and cleaned.
    Cleaned de-rusted disassembled.jpg

Reassembled and restored.
    V V After 1.jpg

V V After 2.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-12-2019 at 5:33 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Very nice restoration Dick. You could make leather jaw mittens for it.

Nice. I always enjoy seeing the before and after photos.

Agreed, nice littler restoration. I would cover the jaws with something, or else you will mark up your work piece. I installed an emmert's vise a month ago and just bought a second one yesterday, and i need to line the jaws. Exerting the pressure you need to firmly hold a workpiece means you are denting the workpiece--generally.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I do need to line the jaws. The leather is a great idea and I have also seen some rubberized cork for the same purpose, so that will be the next order of business. This vise is simply the handiest little vise and at 16 lbs, I can mount it just about anywhere.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Sweet looking restoration. I find pivoting jaws work well for me in the ways that I use this vise (mine is a short-jaw knock-off from Garret Wade).

Parrot Vise (3).jpgParrot Vise (2).jpgParrot Vise (4).jpgParrot Vise (7).jpg

The little magnet keeps the jaws from escaping during repositioning.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sweet looking restoration. I find pivoting jaws work well for me in the ways that I use this vise (mine is a short-jaw knock-off from Garret Wade).

Parrot Vise (3).jpgParrot Vise (2).jpgParrot Vise (4).jpgParrot Vise (7).jpg

The little magnet keeps the jaws from escaping during repositioning.
    I like those pivoting jaws ! I've seen some available online, but yours possibly custom built ? Looks like I have another project coming up, many thanks. I also appreciate the in-use pics showing the versatility of this little gem.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-19-2019 at 8:58 PM.
    Dick Mahany.