Thread: Aftermarket Fence for Powermatic Band Saw?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aftermarket Fence for Powermatic Band Saw?

Someone not far away is advertising a Powermatic 14" band saw for a good price. Problem: no fence and no miter gauge.

I don't care about the miter gauge because I would have replaced that anyway, but it looks like Powermatic fences are expensive. Is there a good aftermarket alternative that either 1. won't break the bank or 2. will break the bank but has features that make it worth it?

Maybe I should make a steel rip fence on my own so it will accept magnetic tools.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Someone not far away is advertising a Powermatic 14" band saw for a good price. Problem: no fence and no miter gauge.

Maybe I should make a steel rip fence on my own so it will accept magnetic tools.
    Sounds like a plan to me. That's on my bucket list to do.

I have a Kreg bandsaw fence and really like it. LINK They average about $110.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I liked this grizzly fence that was on my G0513x2. I don't know what the budget is.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...Bandsaws/H7587

Thanks for the replies. The table is really small. Now that I know that, I'm less interested.

The seller lost the fence AND rails, apparently. How do you lose the rails from a band saw? Mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    The seller lost the fence AND rails, apparently. How do you lose the rails from a band saw? Mysterious.
    Uhmmm,,, pretty easy.
    I have a 20+ year old Jet, which has the same fence as the Powermatic, and I haven't seen that fence in probably 20 years. I also haven't had a fence on my bandsaw for at least 15 years. I think I can find the parts, but they could have been fab'd into a jig, or I just got tired of moving it around and storing it.
    The OEM fence isn't that great. You're better off "rolliing your own", or buying the Kreg.

PS
    Yep, that table is really small! I made a much bigger table for mine many years ago. i don't have it on there any longer, but it worked out really well.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-13-2019 at 6:29 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It looks like Jet has come out with a really nice steel 14" saw. I may just wait until I'm in a spending mood and get one.