Thread: Any problems with a standard Stanley blade in a plane designed for a thicker blade?

Any problems with a standard Stanley blade in a plane designed for a thicker blade?

Perhaps one of the esteemed members has the answer.

I am looking at purchasing a Clifton #3 but I have a number of Stanley blades of the same width.

In case you're wondering: "Why" ?

Simply: I have a number of Stanley blades of the same width that I prefer to re-use instead of purchasing more thick blades.

Marinus,

I can not address directly Clifton planes but with LN planes the depth adjuster hole in the cap iron can be too small causing the iron to not seat on the frog. It is an easy fix to file/Dremel out the hole so the iron seats. I do not like to use A2 cutters and I like thinner iron in my planes so all my LN planes have been modded this way and they work with no problem.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Marinus,

I can not address directly Clifton planes but with LN planes the depth adjuster hole in the cap iron can be too small causing the iron to not seat on the frog. It is an easy fix to file/Dremel out the hole so the iron seats. I do not like to use A2 cutters and I like thinner iron in my planes so all my LN planes have been modded this way and they work with no problem.

ken

Thank you Ken, I intend just sticking with the Clifton cap iron since there appears to be a 3mm ( 1/8") difference in the location of the square hole for the lever. I just hope the cap iron screw will tighten up properly and is not having a too long shoulder. I also like thinner iron for the normal activities as they are easier to sharpen.

My LN #3 has a Stanley-replacement PM-V11 blade from Veritas. No problem, as long as the LN chipbreaker is used (the adjuster position is different on the LN). Move the frog forward a little. A slightly open mouth is not an issue when the chipbreaker is closed up.

I have also gone the other way and fitted a Clifton blade to a Stanley #3. This one was better with the Veritas chipbreaker.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Greetings from the Bay of Plenty

I do not expect too much trouble, it can easily be reversed to using a thicker blade again unlike putting a thicker blade into a Stanley. Read recently about someone regretting filing the mouth on an inherited plane for a thicker blade and then discovering he did not like it. At least I will not be deminishing the resale value should it come to that.

Marinus

Blog Entries
    I have Hock irons and breakers in my Bedrock planes.

Question was....would the thinner Stanley irons work? I imagine they would...may need the thicker chipbreaker, as the depth setting tab may be a bit too tall....

Instead of the usual response of "Need a new, aftermarket iron.." OP was asking about using irons he HAS on hand....

maybe try one of the Stanley irons....and see how it fits? maybe try the "Solid Tool Steel" irons from Millers Falls planes, as they are a tad thicker than the Stanley irons...

Blog Entries
    But you don't really know. If you buy a new iron and breaker, they will fit.

I'm going to use the Clifton chip breaker with the Stanley blades because the location of the lever adjustment hole is about 3mm (1/8") different from the Stanley. This difference in location causes that the chip breaker cannot be set closely enough to the cutting edge. Using a thinner blade will leave a larger mouth which is not to be a problem as tearout is mostly controlled by how close the chip breakers' edge is to the cutting edge.