I use a 26" Samsung flat screen (lcd or led manufactured in 2008) as a computer monitor for my laptop. Yesterday, I turned it on along with my computer and went downstairs to make coffee. A few minutes later, I heard a bang from upstairs. I assumed that my dog had knocked something over, but when I went upstairs the tv was black.

I checked that the outlet was powered and I could see that the red light on the television's "on" button was lit, but the on button would no longer turn the tv on. Based on some internet advice, I unplugged it and pressed the on button for 30 seconds, then plugged it back in and tried it -- no luck. Samsung's online chat rep told me to look for something similar to a joystick on the back of the tv, but I don't have one (you'd think he would have known that after I gave him the model number). Upon hearing that, he said my only option was to a schedule a service call. At the price of new 24" to 27" flat screens, I am more inclined to take the tv to a local recycling drop off and buy a new one, as I doubt I can get this one fixed for much less. I didn't have a surge protector for the tv, although the outlet was on an arc-fault protected breaker, which did not trigger.

Any suggestions for something to try before I take it to be recycled?