Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Television popped and won't turn on

Television popped and won't turn on

I use a 26" Samsung flat screen (lcd or led manufactured in 2008) as a computer monitor for my laptop. Yesterday, I turned it on along with my computer and went downstairs to make coffee. A few minutes later, I heard a bang from upstairs. I assumed that my dog had knocked something over, but when I went upstairs the tv was black.

I checked that the outlet was powered and I could see that the red light on the television's "on" button was lit, but the on button would no longer turn the tv on. Based on some internet advice, I unplugged it and pressed the on button for 30 seconds, then plugged it back in and tried it -- no luck. Samsung's online chat rep told me to look for something similar to a joystick on the back of the tv, but I don't have one (you'd think he would have known that after I gave him the model number). Upon hearing that, he said my only option was to a schedule a service call. At the price of new 24" to 27" flat screens, I am more inclined to take the tv to a local recycling drop off and buy a new one, as I doubt I can get this one fixed for much less. I didn't have a surge protector for the tv, although the outlet was on an arc-fault protected breaker, which did not trigger.

Any suggestions for something to try before I take it to be recycled?

Unplug it, wait 10 to 20 seconds, plug it back in and try it. If it don't work, recycle and buy a new 50 inch model

Note: if something actually popped inside you can often smell something. Burnt electronics are somewhat unique / unmistakable. If it smells its junk.

Often there are one or more fuses inside, but they rarely blow unless there is another fault. If you search for the model number and "problems" or the like, you will usually find some troubleshooting advice. 2008 is most likely LCD and you're right, it isn't worth spending much time or money on it if it isn't something simple. I'd at least unplug it and leave for 30-60 minutes and try it again. If it was a loud bang, good chance one of the filter capacitors blew; if you take the back off you may see the aftermath.

Unless it magically comes alive, I agree it's not worth fixing at all. A new made-for-computer monitor will be the better choice and provide you a much better image than a ten year old TV, too...go for higher resolution for a crisper image that's easier on your eyes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I fixed one that had vertical purple sections on one half of the screen, but nothing to do with your problem. I always let Google see if anyone has a youtube video on fixing such problems. That's how I found the simple fix for that one.

I used to joke that they had figured out how to make TV's, and refrigerators out of nothing, since they now weigh so little. After opening up the back of that one, I saw that it's not a joke.

A popping sound is likely to be a capacitor. I have had then pop and some sound like a gun going off. I have repaired about ten different monitors and computers that had popped capacitors for about 50 cents for the parts

Thanks for all the quick replies. I did try it again today after having it unplugged for about 20 hours. Still nothing. It was a very loud pop when it happened. Guess I will consider this a good opportunity for an upgrade. Now if only the plasma in the living room would die!

I had a 32" Samsung flatscreen TV in my shop office (mancave). I turned it on one day and heard a small pop, and the screen went blank. Turned it off and tried it again with no luck.

Googling the TV model number, and problem, I found several sites saying they were susceptible to capacitors failing. There are even YouTube videos on how to solder in a new one. I thought I would try it when I had time and set it aside for about a year or so, when I decided I would never get to it.

Put an ad on CL offering to give it to anyone who likes playing with electronics, and a nice young guy grabbed it, saying he wanted to fix it and give it to his girl friend. I was a bit surprised when he called me a week later and said he fixed it for almost nothing, and his girl was very pleased with it....thank you.

I am glad I happened to get the right guy, but I know I missed out on a learning experience fixing it. Of course, it would probably be still sitting there.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Note: if something actually popped inside you can often smell something. Burnt electronics are somewhat unique / unmistakable. If it smells its junk.
    If handy with electronics, a blown component will often pinpoint itself by the smell and possibly by the appearance. I've fixed a lot of things by finding and replacing. With luck, it could be an capacitor, easy to find, easy to replace. They sometimes make a sound when they blow and the electrolytics can look bloated and leaky (and stink).

JKJ

The popping sound was probably associated with a leak that let the magic smoke out, even if you perhaps didn't notice it. Once the magic smoke comes out of a modern electronic device you usually have to replace it as it is very complicated and expensive to pump it back in.

Jon,
    I just went through the same thing 2 wks. ago with an LG tv. Google showed me how to fix but I wasn't interested.
    Went and bought a slightly larger 43" Samsung 120, 4K yada yada--- $235.
    I just didn't want to take apart the LG and replace the main board ($60 on flee bay refurb. $126 new from dealer.) To me it was a no-brainer.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    If it was a loud bang, good chance one of the filter capacitors blew; if you take the back off you may see the aftermath.
    Or maybe just a void with a couple of nubs where the leads for the cap that used to be are still attached to the board.

If you are handy with fixing stuff, this might be worth a try. Otherwise, it is a good excuse to upgrade.

While still in college one night about, 1:00am, while trying to figure out why a power supply wasn't working, it all of a sudden explained itself with a loud bang. It seems in my haste one of the capacitors was wired backwards. While sitting there a bit shocked, in a haze of capacitor guts, my wife came in and said, "don't you think it is time to come to bed?"

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Did you test the tubes? LOL. The electronic devices today are pretty much not repairable. Use them like a light bulb and throw them away when it burns out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    Did you test the tubes? LOL. The electronic devices today are pretty much not repairable. Use them like a light bulb and throw them away when it burns out.
    Actually, many of them are repairable to a person who knows how. The problem is a person who knows how is likely to charge at least half of what a replacement would cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)