Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Sub-$500 Laser Engraver

Great points, Rob. I would also add that many sellers will offer a small discount to try to get you to complete the transaction outside of an Ebay auction to save them money on fees AND for them not to be bound by Ebay customer service policies. Always use a credit card, always use Ebay mail for communication so that ebay customer support can review your communications about problems with the seller and don't be tempted to save a few bucks by going outside of the ebay ecosystem. If you have a problem, get it resolved or at least communication initiated before the ebay 30 day full return window closes. International sellers are experts at dragging problem resolution out past this window. Do not be shy about initiating a customer dispute with Ebay just to protect yourself.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 09-13-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

To expound on Doug's post above-- going outside ebay can get you hacked, I found that out the hard way once. In that case the ebay ad was actually hacked-in to the ebay ad page I was searching. Some info was missing- on purpose- and I clicked on the link to ask for info. The whole ad looked legit, and all links worked, and the link addresses on the bottom of the screen were good... But they were all the scammer's links, not ebay's. I got a return email with info on how to finish the sale outside ebay.. I decided to wait till the next day to buy...

One thing I do regularly when buying online is to take and save screenshots of the page I'm on. So the next day I hit ebay, and can't find the ad. I call up the screenshot and jot down the listing number, and search it out... that number never existed. Not sure what bad could've happened had I continued, but glad I didn't. Lesson learned...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Even though Rob, Kev and I have pointed out possible pitfalls, that doesn't mean you can't have a good experience with ebay purchases. You just have to go in with your eyes wide open, be smart about it and cover all of your bases plus have certain level of mechanical aptitude. I have had issues with my machine that I have had to solve, but for the price difference compared to other buying options, I am glad I bought it. It has paid for itself many times over. There are now so many online resources available to learn about running and maintaining Chinese lasers that were not there when I started my laser journey about three years ago. It is is much easier path as long as you are willing to put forth the effort to obtain knowledge and help.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

With respect, sub $500, spells regrets, if you are hoping to be at all serious, and with no previous laser experience, with your aims.
    It's been explained above well enough!
    Consdider looking locally for 2nd hand, where the seller can show you it working.
    And find out why they are selling it...!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

I have had good luck with the seller Goldraydigital on Ebay