Thread: Building closet organization shelves/drawers etc

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Building closet organization shelves/drawers etc

Hello all,

I am preparing and researching for a new project. We have 4 closets (walk-in and also with sliding doors) and we are not using that space efficiently because they only have one shelf with a hanging rod underneath. I would like to add shelfs, hanging rods, drawers etc...like those closet organization system found at ikea, but the cost is super high, thus I am now looking into building them myself. I would appreciate any tips on how to best accomplish this. The following questions come to mind first:

1) I am thinking of using plywood. Are MDF or particle boards better options?
    2) I don't have a strong preference on the look. Is it easier to paint or stain plywood?
    3) where can we buy plywood for less than HomeDepot and Lowes? Any online that would ship?
    4) having closets that stand on the floor look much better to me than hanging on the walls. Given I have to build and finish them in my garage, and floor/walls might not be always square, is it feasible? Like building a box/platform for the cabinets to rest on?
    5) do we cut off the baseboards or build the cabinets above it?
    6) what is the best way to join the boards? Wood screws? Dowels? Dado? Wood glue & brad nails?

Attached is a picture of one closet. They are all more or less like that. Some drawers, some box, some shelves, some rods. We don't need shoe storage. Only for clothes.
    The goal is to have a functional, durable, and easy to fabricate system at the lowest cost. It doesn't have to look fancy like having glass door on cabinets.

Thanks much in advance
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images