Thread: Upgrade 1.5hp dust collector?

Upgrade 1.5hp dust collector?

Plans are under way to build and complete my new 30’ x 40’ workshop by June 2020. I’ve gotten many valuable insights from Sawmill Creek conversations about factors to consider when making these sorts of once-in-a-lifetime plans. Thanks to all of you.

If the following dust collection question has already been addressed in an earlier thread, please point the way.

My current dust collector consists of a mobile 1.5hp collector modified with a Wynn 1425c filter and an Oneida Super Dust Deputy.

I am a hobbyist woodworker and, in my current workshop setup, am comfortable with moving the 4-inch flexible hose from machine to machine as needed. My shop tools include:
    Table saw
    16” jointer/planer combo
    Band saw
    Chop saw
    Router table
    Drill press
    Grinder
    Mortiser
    Lathe

If I improve dust collection at the source (for example, at the table saw, bandsaw, chop saw and so on), would I be able to achieve a level of dust collection with my 1.5hp setup that would compare favorably to the capacity of a 3hp or 5hp powered stationary system (with appropriate ductwork)? Or, if I stick with what I have, will I be spitting into the dusty wind?

Again, I appreciate being a member of this community.

Dust collection is about moving air. The more air that gets moved, the better the dust and chip evacuation will be. Improving collection at the point of production will certainly benefit no matter what, but moving to a more capable system will be noticeable, especially for that wide J/P and give you enough air to do a better job with hard to collect from tools like the chop saw using a large hood, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've slowly been upgrading my tools and have a similar collection to you Peter.

I have a 30' x 30' shop and have a 1.5 Jet Dust collector, converted to two stage with a Super Dust Deputy, sitting in one corner. I use 5" metal tubing from the DC along two walls, about 50', with three 5" drops eventually going down to 4" and 2.5" blast gates, which then serve the individual machine with either 4" or 2.5" flex hose..

If your budget allows, I would not hesitate to go with a larger system and it's something that crosses my mind most times when I read threads like this.

But as of yet, I've had no issue collecting sawdust and shavings from either my Hammer A3-31 or ShopFox W1812 moulder, which produce the largest volume and size of shavings.

I do close the blast gates that are not in use, but for the most part, I usually have minimal evidence at the tool that I just made a bunch of sawdust, so I'm pretty happy with my limited system.

My shop is 1250 square feet, and have similar equipment, except I have an edge sander and a small open end widebelt. My DC is a 3 hp cyclone, and if I were starting over, would just get the CV Max. I have pipe hanging from the ceiling for my dust system. The DC, air compressor, and tire machine are in a store room, which is very nice to control noise, and keep the lumber storage out of the main shop. I keep a dehumidifier in the store room to help my lumber dry, and stay at a usable level MC.

I don't know if you need that much. I have a cheap 2hp harbor freight collector that does most anything you would want. For some applications where there were chips I could use a separator but I think the dust collector would work. Even if I had a 5hp collector I would still need a separator.

I have a 3/4HP DC. It's the old Delta type - fiber drum with the motor on top, 4" fittings, chips run through the fan. I modified it several years ago and made a cyclone out of it with a 6" intake. It feeds a mitersaw, tablesaw, router table and bandsaw, all in 4" metal duct. Venting is to the outside.

Last year I bought a 4HP JP (Hammer A3-31) and asked about the need to upgrade the DC. It was unanimous I needed to do that. I didn't disagree but I didn't have the money. So I piped in the 5" line for the JP as close to the DC as I could. It's got 10' of flex and maybe another 2-3 feet of pipe before hitting the cyclone.

Yesterday I was jointing a spalted maple board, full width. The DC picked up all but a few chips. I have yet to clog it.

I'm not recommending this, just suggesting giving your 1-1/2HP DC a try before plunking down the money for a larger one.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I actually use 2 different Dust Collectors in my shop. Since I'm a one person shop, it only needs to service 1 tool at a time. I have a 2HP HF that I modifed to a cyclone and put a Wynn filter on. It services my Table Saw, 16-32 Sander, 15" Planer and Router Table. There is only about 12' of pipe on that system plus a couple of feet of flex for each connection.

My Drill Press, Miter Saw, Band Saw and Spindle/Belt Sander are lined up along 1 wall and are serviced by a HF 1HP collector hanging on the wall. I was able to locate the collector somewhat centrally, so there is about 11' of pipe each direction from the collector.

I'm very content with my arrangement with the exception of the Miter Saw. I realize it is a difficult machine to collect from in the first place and my hood (or lack thereof) needs to be addressed before I blame the collector arrangement.

I'd say use the 1.5 HP you have for now and see if you're happy. Just make sure your layout can easily accommodate a larger one if you want it later.

Chips from a jointer or planer are the easiest to collect. Sanding dust is the hardest, so figure that into your problem. If you do your sanding outside, maybe you can get by with a small DC.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've slowly been upgrading my tools and have a similar collection to you Peter.

I have a 30' x 30' shop and have a 1.5 Jet Dust collector, converted to two stage with a Super Dust Deputy, sitting in one corner. I use 5" metal tubing from the DC along two walls, about 50', with three 5" drops eventually going down to 4" and 2.5" blast gates, which then serve the individual machine with either 4" or 2.5" flex hose..

If your budget allows, I would not hesitate to go with a larger system and it's something that crosses my mind most times when I read threads like this.

But as of yet, I've had no issue collecting sawdust and shavings from either my Hammer A3-31 or ShopFox W1812 moulder, which produce the largest volume and size of shavings.

I do close the blast gates that are not in use, but for the most part, I usually have minimal evidence at the tool that I just made a bunch of sawdust, so I'm pretty happy with my limited system.
    I have the same blower/cyclone set up except I’m running 6” ducts. While I’ll admit the collection could be better, it works. my original plan was to buy a 3hp blower when I had so much difficulty finding one, I used the 1 1/2 Jet. Well, it’s been there Ver since.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like better DC, but it works well enough to suit me.

Distance is the enemy. Try to group your machines as close to blower as possible will help a lot. Shavings producers are easiest to collect dust producers the hardest.

My suggestion is go with what you’ve got, see how you like it, you can always upgrade.

Clearvue sells just the parts you need if you already have a cyclone like the one above. Just order the motor, impeller, housing and whatever details you need to move up to a 5hp system. If I were to upgrade, would keep my existing cyclone, as it is a long cone cyclone, and it would not be that difficult to upgrade to a bigger blower.

My setup is identical to yours, a 1 1/2hp delta with a SDD with a 5in hose which gets connected to each machine. No ductwork, the DC is centrally located and I move the connection around from machine to machine. It works, but its just adequate. No way I could connect this to a drum sander. I also use a Festool vac connected to the tablesaw blade guard, and to the router fence, while the DC is connected to the base of the machines. My plan for a long time is to upgrade to a 3 or 5 hp machine with a bigger cyclone.
    IMG_01234.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images