Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't see images in posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Champagne View Post
    I found it super difficult as a new member to contribute.
    All the links I was finding were broken.
    I ended up finding one in a moderator's (Bruce Page) sig that worked.
    At the top of every forum page is a donate button that works. There is also a link in my signature.

Donate Button.jpg

Here is the donate button.

Aaron is working on correcting the error in the secondary link you get when you click on a picture. We missed this one when we were making changes a few weeks ago.
    There is also a link at the bottom of every page to our email address if you need assistance and do not have any internal way to contact us.

The changes we had to make are regrettable, it is so much easier to provide every service for free rather than having to adjust access privileges for just one group. Unfortunately we have to pay the bills and if we cannot find enough advertisers to cover our operational costs our only option is to pay them ourselves. It is a major job to solicit companies to become advertisers here, over the last seventeen years I have spent thousands of hours on the phone and via email messages communicating with companies asking for their financial support in an effort to provide free access here. Today I am unable to dedicate the amount of time I have in the past. It is just impossible to maintain my sign business, SawMill Creek and still have some personal time for myself and to spend with my family. You might notice that over the years you haven't seen many project pictures that I have shared here, only pictures of business signs that I have made. My personal shop time has been near non-existent for a very long time, my time has been spent working here seven days a week several times every day for seventeen years.

So now I'm asking you all to help me pay the bills. It's a small request that will take just a few minutes of your time once per year but it will make an immeasurable change to my schedule. Some of you know that five years ago I had medical problems that slowed me down quite a bit. Currently I am in another round of constant doctors visits to correct another medical issue so my access here has been less than normal for the last few weeks and I have a ways to go. In the meantime I also have been exercising my right to enjoy life just a little bit more than in the past.

There is no debate over whether we are going to pay our bills here, we will or we won't. There is also no debate about whether I will keep my sign business going, it pays my bills so I will continue my sign business as a priority.

Thanks to all of you who have been donating here to keep the lights on so to speak. You have always been the reason that SawMill Creek exists.

That button did not work for me when I tried it.
    It directed me to an access denied page, as most things I tried did. It does work for me now of course, that I am set as a contributor.
    Not questioning your motives in the least, just offering my help/observations as a new visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thornbury View Post
    I've been registered here for a few years, but I won't bother in future.
    This is how forums die.
    Time will tell. Before the new policy many people already chose to contribute voluntary. There was much discussion and debate and some complaining about this when the policy was initiated. The reasons were given for the change and they made sense to me. Many people were happy to send the less than 2 cents a day and continue to this day to make valuable contributions to and get value from the forum. A few people got mad and left. Life on the forum has continued.

I personally learn a lot from this forum and am glad to contribute my time and my money. I also choose to voluntarily support to other forums I visit frequently, even when not required. (I tip at restaurants and bellhops too.) I personally think every little bit helps to pay the bills to keep these forums open.

BTW, I understand a "Member" can still upload photos, just not view them. Contributing also allows posting to the Classifieds area to sell things and to send and receive private messages.

https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

JKJ

I should add that you must be logged in to SawMill Creek to use the Donate link.
    If you are not logged in the donate process cannot connect you account here to PayPal so it can upgrade your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thornbury View Post

I've been registered here for a few years, but I won't bother in future.

This is how forums die.
    We had a great deal of conversation on the pros and cons of changing SMC earlier in the year. Perhaps you werent logging on regularly then and missed them. I thought the matter got a pretty thorough vetting by the community by the time it quieted down. Points similar to yours were discussed long and hard.

As a result of the changes we lost several members whose advice I valued. But at the end of the day, it's like President Ronald Reagan once said: "No bucks - no Buck Rogers."
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-22-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you Jay

Jackie

Why don't you make it mandatory for members to turn off add blockers and contributors can run them if they want. I've come across websites that throw up a popup that tells me if I want to view the page I have to whitelist it or turn off my blockers, can't we do that here for members only? I have turned my ad blockers off here and make it a point to spend a few minutes checking out some of the ad's.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, that is certainly something that's been discussed previously...right now with this older vBulletin software, it is less likely to be practical than when the time resources are available to migrate to Xenforo. That said, the ad-blocker damage is already done..."getting advertisers" is a lot tougher these days for forum sites for a number of reasons including the precipitous drop in click throughs in previous years. It's not just SMC that struggles with this... BTW, Contributors can already turn off ads if they don't want to see them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Everybody has the choice to do what's best for them. So does the forum owner...they need to pay the costs that are incurred to run the place which are substantial. As has been pointed out many, many times, advertising isn't covering that anymore. Content incentives to pay a modest $6 a year...less than 2 cents a day...actually is helping to deal with that gap in funding and has actually delayed the need to have a higher cost subscription. I really don't get this "it has to be free" attitude...but that's me. Others are certainly welcome to their opinions.
    Most of the dissent is not actually driven by "it has to be free" or the "small cost". I think you will find those complaining are complaining due to the principles at play here.

Mr. Outten is not creating content - the traffic to this site exists BECAUSE of the content FREELY posted by others. There are some modest hosting costs (this is not a large forum in the context of large forums) and maybe occasional legal and IT fees.

You mentioned how lucky we are, as he is delaying further raising the prices to fill the shortfall.... That means that the $6 is going to become $7 or $70 --- whatever. The reality is that due to the principles in play here, the shortfall will increase as more people become frustrated and flee or refuse to participate, prompting even less advertising and revenue, more "pay to see" content and an even larger shortfall and higher subscription prices.

The simple fact: The decision to hide member contributed content (be it only images at this point) behind a paywall, especially content that when posted was FREE, is antithetical the very essence of what made this forum viable in the first place. If the advertising model is not paying the bills, taxing the user is certainly not going to make the situation better in the long run. Ask photobucket how holding forum posted images hostage behind a paywall worked!

While I don't have an answer, I don't see this model panning out, as there are several other well traveled forums in this niche that are do not hide content behind a paywall. So yeah it is "just $6" but that is $5.99 more than the most the of the traffic is likely willing to pay.

Simply put , if the advertisers are not paying the bills and voluntary donations are not bridging the gap, then the traffic simply does not support the existence of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by William Burnett View Post
    Most of the dissent is not actually driven by "it has to be free" or the "small cost". I think you will find those complaining are complaining due to the principles at play here.

Mr. Outten is not creating content - the traffic to this site exists BECAUSE of the content FREELY posted by others. There are some modest hosting costs (this is not a large forum in the context of large forums) and maybe occasional legal and IT fees.

You mentioned how lucky we are, as he is delaying further raising the prices to fill the shortfall.... That means that the $6 is going to become $7 or $70 --- whatever. The reality is that due to the principles in play here, the shortfall will increase as more people become frustrated and flee or refuse to participate, prompting even less advertising and revenue, more "pay to see" content and an even larger shortfall and higher subscription prices.

The simple fact: The decision to hide member contributed content (be it only images at this point) behind a paywall, especially content that when posted was FREE, is antithetical the very essence of what made this forum viable in the first place. If the advertising model is not paying the bills, taxing the user is certainly not going to make the situation better in the long run. Ask photobucket how holding forum posted images hostage behind a paywall worked!

While I don't have an answer, I don't see this model panning out, as there are several other well traveled forums in this niche that are do not hide content behind a paywall. So yeah it is "just $6" but that is $5.99 more than the most the of the traffic is likely willing to pay.

Simply put , if the advertisers are not paying the bills and voluntary donations are not bridging the gap, then the traffic simply does not support the existence of this site.
    And then if Keith desires to continue with SMC, continue to put up the work, put up with the personal attacks, and endure the criticism from those who contribute little other than criticism, he will convert to paying members only. Some people actually contribute information and monetary support. Others, well they take information and claim they don't believe in supporting the organization because they are providing the information. With 10 posts in 9 years, I'd suggest not much information has been contributed but certainly criticism is at least 10% of what someone believes is their contribution. This argument is less than honest or sincere, IMO.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-28-2019 at 1:03 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Try that "providing content" with the phone people.

Quote Originally Posted by William Burnett View Post

Seems like we have to keep rehashing this every time that some member who signs on once every 6 months realizes things have changed and wants to argue about it. Mr. Burnett, we talked about this months ago and everything said above was discussed at length, then. Please search the archives and catch up on the whole story before you throw rocks, give us your opinion about Keith's business costs or talk about "principles". It's all been discussed, I assure you.

And I'm sorry to be mean, but the "principles" argument (in the context of SMC) is far more credible when voiced by someone that has actually contributed a couple hundred posts worth of content over the years. As Ken pointed out, with just 10 posts in 9 years, it's a safe bet that you got more out of lurking here than you've contributed.

Fred Skelly
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-28-2019 at 7:04 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”