Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't see images in posts

I don't see images in posts

If I click on a link to an image I get a message saying I don't have permission to view them. I'm not a regular so that may have something to do with it.

Richard,

earlier this year IIRC, the rules changed here at SMC. Only people who contribute financially can see images. For a mere suggested $6 annual donation, one can send private messages and view images. This is in effort to support the rising costs of operating a forum like SMC. Personally, I have gained far more value from the civil exchange of information at SMC than a $6 donation would pay.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken.

The message that appears to non-contributors trying to view a picture ("you do not have permission to access this page") has a link to "Click here for information on viewing pictures", but apparently we don't have permission to view the link, either, as it shows the exact same message.

My problem with the 6 dollars is, I'm on a lot of forums and if I gave you money to all of them it would quickly add up. I will just keep following the free ones until they're gone. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dorman View Post
    The message that appears to non-contributors trying to view a picture ("you do not have permission to access this page") has a link to "Click here for information on viewing pictures", but apparently we don't have permission to view the link, either, as it shows the exact same message.
    Same problem - had to search a bunch to find this policy. Which I think is a very reasonable one. But I'm guessing a bunch of people will give up before donating due to the fact that the link is currently broken.

Same here !!!

Yep, looks like someone must have hit the wrong switch. Kind of hard to donate if the links to donate won't work unless you are a contributor. Catch 22
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

The Donate button at the top of the page should work...and the broken link in the message has been brought to the attention of Keith and Aaron.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

It only seems to be the woodworking and handcraft forums that demand money for the most basic forum services.

In my opinion, shortsighted as it is the MEMBERS that make a forum. You want to attract members and by making you pay for something as basic as viewing images, you are alienating people.

For example, there was a question posted which I think I would have been very able to answer, but the question involved viewing a picture to make a determination.

So that post got no input from me.

I can understand not being allowed to upload pictures, but being unable to view them?

I've been registered here for a few years, but I won't bother in future.

This is how forums die.
    Homemade 6W 900x500mm diode engraver
    600x900mm Reci W4 with Ruida 6442G
    300x200mm 50W desktop hacked to bits with mods
    ...waiting on a 1325 Reci W8...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thornbury View Post
    In my opinion, shortsighted as it is the MEMBERS that make a forum. You want to attract members and by making you pay for something as basic as viewing images, you are alienating people.
    I can understand not being allowed to upload pictures, but being unable to view them?
    I've been registered here for a few years, but I won't bother in future.
    This is how forums die.
    I agree with Mike. If I cannot see what members are talking about why bother.
    Exchange rates to other currency makes a big difference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    My problem with the 6 dollars is, I'm on a lot of forums and if I gave you money to all of them it would quickly add up. I will just keep following the free ones until they're gone. Sorry.
    My feelings too.

Everybody has the choice to do what's best for them. So does the forum owner...they need to pay the costs that are incurred to run the place which are substantial. As has been pointed out many, many times, advertising isn't covering that anymore. Content incentives to pay a modest $6 a year...less than 2 cents a day...actually is helping to deal with that gap in funding and has actually delayed the need to have a higher cost subscription. I really don't get this "it has to be free" attitude...but that's me. Others are certainly welcome to their opinions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Everybody has the choice to do what's best for them. So does the forum owner...they need to pay the costs that are incurred to run the place which are substantial. As has been pointed out many, many times, advertising isn't covering that anymore. Content incentives to pay a modest $6 a year...less than 2 cents a day...actually is helping to deal with that gap in funding and has actually delayed the need to have a higher cost subscription. I really don't get this "it has to be free" attitude...but that's me. Others are certainly welcome to their opinions.
    And as has been pointed out many,many,many, times before.... It's ONLY 6 dollars!!!... and yet probably the majority of members has a computer. internet. cell phone, etc... 6 bucks isn't going to break anyone on these forums...

I found it super difficult as a new member to contribute.
    All the links I was finding were broken.
    I ended up finding one in a moderator's (Bruce Page) sig that worked.