Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good on-line source for Vertical Grain Fir

Looking for a good on-line source for Vertical Grain Fir

Despite going to a lot of yards and sawmills, I can't find anyone in my area (New Jersey) that stocks Vertical Grain Fir. I recall seeing an on-line company that specializes in softwoods, perhaps in Oregon or Washington, where that stuff grows. But I can't find them anymore. Does anyone know of a good source for this stuff?

Thanks.

Stephen

Blog Entries
    I've always wondered who decided to call it vertical grain. If you lay the board down it certainly isn't vertical anymore. But I digress. Check out some of the lumber reclaimers for old salvaged beams.

We used to routinely get it mixed with big orders of more slab cut stuff. It's bad about getting pieces torn off edges ,but
    certainly good stuff for some things. I'm guessing there are some getting it in their orders who don't like it. Really hard
    to mould the edges on a shaper ,unless you climb-cut.

Vertical grain Fir.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    We used to routinely get it mixed with big orders of more slab cut stuff. It's bad about getting pieces torn off edges ,but
    certainly good stuff for some things. I'm guessing there are some getting it in their orders who don't like it. Really hard
    to mould the edges on a shaper ,unless you climb-cut.
    Edensaw in Port Townsend or Seattle.

You can get it from Wehrungs Specialty Woods in Ottsville PA and it's not a bad trip for you to pick it up....but you do need to order it. 610-847-8002 and speak with Dan if he is there.

Here's two examples of that material:

And from some scraps...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Willard Brothers has some on-hand last I checked with them, they can also order it and what they’ve gotten for me has been exceptional quality.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks. I find them very helpful too.

I have some nice VG Doug fir for sale...PM me if interested and I will send pics and board footage. I have a bro in law in NJ and could potentially get it to you for little or no shipping if you are not in a big hurry. bob

Beer creek lumber..

Got about 800 bf of cvgdf and cvgayc fro them a couple years ago.

Very very nice material.

Delaware County Supply just south of Philadelphia has Doug Fir in several dimensions and grades.
    http://delawarecountysupply.us/softwood.html

You might also try ML Condon in White Plains.
    http://www.condonlumber.net

I'll second Bear Creek Lumber. I've seen very nice CVG Doug Fir and CVG Alaskan Yellow Cedar come from them on multiple occasions. Shipping it across the country is not cheap, but if you can't find it locally I wouldn't think twice about place an order with them.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    What makes it vertical grain, and it it specific to fir? We are not just talking quarter sawn?
    NOW you tell me...

Yes, it is the same as quartersawn. I think softwoods are commonly called vertical grain, and hardwoods, quartersawn.

Although I’ve bought vertical grain walnut, so go figure.

My theory is that quartersawn refers to the method of cutting, which results in deliberately in vertical grain. But perhaps fir and softer woods are just flat sawn for yield, and any vertical grain pieces are coincidental?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-13-2019 at 9:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    What makes it vertical grain, and it it specific to fir? We are not just talking quarter sawn?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Exactly as Jim shows, it's actually rift sawn with straight grain showing all all faces. Not the easiest thing to acquire in its truest form. Often enough I'm happier with Quartersawn for panels.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.