Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a good on-line source for Vertical Grain Fir

I'll give a second and third to both Bear Creek and Edensaw here in Washington State if you can't find it locally back there. I've ordered from both. Neither are the cheapest but both are top quality, high volume distributors. You will get what you paid for. Last time I checked, price locally was comparable to cherry, or more.

I remember local guys on the Olympic Peninsula here who would find a huge old growth fir log washed down by the river and ... buck it up and split it into firewood. Then again, I remember doing the same thing to cherry logs in the mountains of Virginia when I was a kid. Ouch.
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Blog Entries
    If they only knew that it sells for $15/bf in NJ. That is some very fine firewood.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    If they only knew that it sells for $15/bf in NJ. That is some very fine firewood.
    Wow. Very little of it is coming from U.S. forests now. I just went to my regional supplier to look up the price here. They've stopped posting board foot prices online. I think the market has gotten very "fluid." And my local lumber yard stopped stocking S4S fir last year since no one would buy it at the prices now. But you can still get hemlock. I hate hemlock.
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I paid under $8 for the 8/4 I used for that "kitchen continent" project...I sure hope that the $15 material is absolutely pristine!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I paid $11bf for both species two years ago.

Every board out of 800bf of 8/4 was perfect. Like perfect.

I’m a cabinet maker and I go through hundreds upon hundreds of board feet of lumber a month. Thousands a year both paint grade maple, cherry, walnut oak you name it. And this stock from bear creek was the best quality I have ever seen bar none..

$11 per bd ft , and every board BETTER be perfect!! Especially 2 years ago when wholesale pricing was around $5-6.50 bf.
    Now, seems prices have jumped - due to tarriffs according to my suppliers- 30% more !!!!