Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midrange Table Saw Advice

Midrange Table Saw Advice

Currently using Bosch jobsite saw with gravity rise stand, great tool but need bigger table/rip capacity.
    115V and mobility to move in and out of garage over a 1" threshold are limiting factors. Trying to keep price under $2k but the Sawstop may creep over a bit.

I have done enough research starting to confuse myself so I thought it time to consult the experts.

Sawstop contractor 36" T-glide with either mobile base
    Powermatic 64B adding a mobile base
    Jet Proshop II 30" adding a mobile base

My question is, beyond the specs, of these choices what should I be aware of in actual use that might help me decide?
    Sawstop seems to have the best growth potential but they don't allow the use of router extension and mobility base, at least from the factory.
    Powermatic seems to be the most robust although I really don't know

What is important to me is of course fence accuracy and ease of use. Probably want to have a router table extension soon. Made one for my current jobsite saw.

I read some news Sawstop business is being or has been sold so long term viability of the company seems questionable.

Any other models to move higher up on my list, Grizzly, Delta which seems to have a good deal of negative reviews?

Thanks for helping a newebie to the forum

Sawstop was bought by festools parent company.

They actually have a new portable saw coming soon

Festools sounds like a sound parent company.

Any links on the new saw specs or availability date? Not ready to buy right now so a few months wait is okay

Sawstop does offer a mobile base for the contractor saw. Do you mean something else?

Blog Entries
    How big is the door to the garage? A contractor has the motor hanging out the back & will need to be removed to get it through anything less than a double door. How about a hybrid saw?

You'll do fine with any of those selections with a proper setup and tune. Buy yourself a nice saw gauge if you do not already have one, and carefully align the slots to the blade, and then the fence, and you'll be just fine. Your selections are limited by your imposed voltage requirement, but there are options.

Do you have anywhere to go and see any of these options in the flesh? See what you like. There are mobile base solutions available from third parties to suit your needs as well.

You can get either mobile base but when you configure it on the website both the outfeed option and the router extension are disabled when either base is selected. Options are a little different with the cabinet version. I have a question to Sawstop on it, still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Sawstop does offer a mobile base for the contractor saw. Do you mean something else?

My door is quite wide, double sliding doors about 12 feet wide

Not really in practice especially new.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    You'll do fine with any of those selections with a proper setup and tune. Buy yourself a nice saw gauge if you do not already have one, and carefully align the slots to the blade, and then the fence, and you'll be just fine. Your selections are limited by your imposed voltage requirement, but there are options.

Do you have anywhere to go and see any of these options in the flesh? See what you like. There are mobile base solutions available from third parties to suit your needs as well.

Blog Entries
    With that threshold, you might need to fabricate or modify a mobile base with really large casters, like 6" or so. most mobile bases have small wheels that would have problems with a 1" hump in the floor.

I own the Sawstop PCS (not contractor) and have owned the Jet Proshop (1).

Sawstop PCS: Besides the safety features, here's a couple things you might not think of:
    - The price of the brakes and new blades can add up. I've tripped mine 3 times, each time contacting my aluminum miter fence. Trips are inconvenient and at least $100 each time - and that's if you don't use pricey blades.
    - The dust collection is very good.
    - The riving knife is very easy to change.
    - I do not use my blade guard. Not because I am lazy, but I find it inconvenient. The pawls get in the way and can damage the work. Bad reason, but it's true.

Jet Proshop
    - I loved this saw. The enclosed base made it really a mini cabinet saw. The dust collection was great - especially when I put a Sharkguard on it. I found this set up better than the Sawstop at dust collection. I liked the Sharkguard better than the Sawstop.
    - At 1.75hp, it would occasionally bog down in +2" hardwood. Multiple passes were necessary. Not a big deal if it's infrequent. I appreciate the power of the PCS now.

Great info, just the type e of input I was looking for. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I own the Sawstop PCS (not contractor) and have owned the Jet Proshop (1).

Sawstop PCS: Besides the safety features, here's a couple things you might not think of:
    - The price of the brakes and new blades can add up. I've tripped mine 3 times, each time contacting my aluminum miter fence. Trips are inconvenient and at least $100 each time - and that's if you don't use pricey blades.
    - The dust collection is very good.
    - The riving knife is very easy to change.
    - I do not use my blade guard. Not because I am lazy, but I find it inconvenient. The pawls get in the way and can damage the work. Bad reason, but it's true.

Jet Proshop
    - I loved this saw. The enclosed base made it really a mini cabinet saw. The dust collection was great - especially when I put a Sharkguard on it. I found this set up better than the Sawstop at dust collection. I liked the Sharkguard better than the Sawstop.
    - At 1.75hp, it would occasionally bog down in +2" hardwood. Multiple passes were necessary. Not a big deal if it's infrequent. I appreciate the power of the PCS now.

One more thing I'd add. The Proshop version 1 did not have a riving knife. That was ultimately the reason I upgraded from it. If it had one, I am not sure I would ever have needed to upgrade.

Sawstop is no better than any other saw with a riving knife at preventing kickback.

I would not use a Sawstop on job sites that are open air as a little mist could trigger the brake. I have cut when there is just a lite rain falling

I’m not quite sure what that comment means but I’m trying to help. I have a sawstop because I felt the replacement of a brake and blade ($200 total) was better than talking to an orthopedic surgeon.

Your cited options are from three leading manufacturers with fine offerings. Set them up right and you can’t make a bad choice on your list. Buy the right mobile base with large casters and you’ll clear your entryway.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    Not really in practice especially new.