Thread: Universal engraver question

Universal engraver question

Does anyone have experience with the lasers sold by Universal Engravers ? I am looking at a 15W unit with a 40 x 40 table for engraving wood. I may be making the occasional box for wine bottles and the boxes would need to have the wineries logo burned into the sides.

Looks like you put the units together yourself and if a ventilation box is needed you build it yourself. $ 849.00 for the unit. From my little research this seems like a low budget unit probably not suited for extended production runs, like 50 wine boxes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent

I just googled the machine you're talking about, looks like there IS a Chinese-based 'Universal Engraver', not to be confused with the US based 'Universal Laser'. Never heard of them. Universal Laser on the other hand, back in 2001-ish I bought my Gravograph rep's 'show machine', a 1997 25w New Hermes Optima built by Universal. I used it for around 10 years and sold it to my BIL, who's engraved wood boxes with it 8-12 hours a day ever since, and hasn't had a single issue with it (knock on my head)... the thing is still running on the original mirrors and lens.

That said, I wandered into the Chinese machine waters back in 2013, buying my big Triumph 1300x900 80w machine. I've had a couple of issues with it, had a stepper motor wire break, and about 6 months ago I had to replace the controller, $340 I think it was (controller worked fine but USB wouldn't connect)-- but 6 years in it's paid for itself many times over and shows no signs of stopping. How long a $900 machine will last...?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Don't plan on engraving much wood with 15W. You will be disappointed. Wood needs some power and 15W just isn't going to do it. You'll likely never get an actual dark engraving. If you did, it would take hours to accomplish.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Steve,
    This unit was brought to my attention by seamon_custom_builds on Instagram. From the look of his products it appears adequate to burn into wood. Much of his work is quite dark. The manufacturer told me the unit can burn to 1/16" depth. Being new to this type of engraving what power would you recommend and what manufacturer should I consider looking at that doesn't break my bank and would be suitable for a beginner ?

Thanks,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    Steve,
    This unit was brought to my attention by seamon_custom_builds on Instagram. From the look of his products it appears adequate to burn into wood. Much of his work is quite dark. The manufacturer told me the unit can burn to 1/16" depth. Being new to this type of engraving what power would you recommend and what manufacturer should I consider looking at that doesn't break my bank and would be suitable for a beginner ?

Thanks,

Kent
    Kent, there's a difference in what's possible and what's realistic. To burn 1/16" deep in wood with 15W, it would be brutally slow. For example, something simple might take you an hour that would take a higher wattage machine 5 minutes. If time isn't a concern, that's one thing but if you every have a deadline, then it's going to be an issue. I can't even recall ever seeing ANY manufacturer sell a 15W laser in the laser 7-10 years. I'd be looking at no less than 30W if you can afford it, getting into 45-50W would be fantastic but in my opinion, 15W is going to get very frustrating very quickly. Since it's a laser and the chance of fire is real, it's not something you want to hit "Go" on and have to babysit for 4 hours. That's not very much fun.

All just my opinion. I don't know any alternatives in that price range, I don't follow that level of build.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

My guess its a diode laser, most are limited to 5 or 6 watts but there could be some that are over driven or 15 watts. Its a more effective power than co2 so it might be equal to 30 watts??
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    My guess its a diode laser, most are limited to 5 or 6 watts but there could be some that are over driven or 15 watts. Its a more effective power than co2 so it might be equal to 30 watts??
    Good point Bill, only thing I ever saw from those diode lasers was VERY slow as well. Took hours to engrave a photo. I'll have to poke around and look and see what people are doing with them now. Seems like everyone is going backwards in physics and trying to start where the industry already went 30 years ago Except they call it new to new eyes

I just bough 40W Universal Engraver laser and it is one of the best laser I have used.

https://universalengraver.com/produc...raving-machine

I also used eleks maker and ortur 2 but those are having much smaller engraving area and even not enough power. I am able to engrave stainless steel tumblers very easily and the result is just amazing considering the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the lasers sold by Universal Engravers ? I am looking at a 15W unit with a 40 x 40 table for engraving wood. I may be making the occasional box for wine bottles and the boxes would need to have the wineries logo burned into the sides.

Looks like you put the units together yourself and if a ventilation box is needed you build it yourself. $ 849.00 for the unit. From my little research this seems like a low budget unit probably not suited for extended production runs, like 50 wine boxes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent