Thread: Brain Size

Brain Size

A cow has a brain 400 times the size of a mouse's brain. They don't seem 400 times as smart. What's going on there?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    A cow has a brain 400 times the size of a mouse's brain. They don't seem 400 times as smart. What's going on there?
    Any woman will tell you, "it isn't what you've got, it's how you use it."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Cows are very social animals. That's what they use their brains for. They may not talk to you. It's only because they don't think you're very interesting. :^)

There's a lot more data to process, and regulate in a cow's body, than a mouse's. All that doesn't have much to do with reasoning ability. Even the part about regulating the rechewing of that volume of food is probably way more than a mouse brain is capable of.

Maybe not all of them. One day I saw a local rancher loading cows for market but one was running faster than I've ever seen a cow move in the opposite direction.

Blog Entries
    Actually, a mouse has a brain size to body size Encephalization quotient the same as a human.
    brain.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Actually, a mouse has a brain size to body size Encephalization quotient the same as a human.
    brain.JPG
    That explains a lot
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    brain.JPG
    Now I understand why I can't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Now I understand why I can't fly.
    And how, no matter how or where I drive, a bird can always hit my windshield with a dropping.

It's that brain ratio. They're smarter than us.