Thread: Ashley Iles tools

Ashley Iles tools

I just purchases 22 AI full size carving tools for $426. All look to be new or nearly new. Several fishtails, skews, v-chisels, gouges, and more. Did I do OK on the price? I haven't received them yet and the seller pulled the posting so I can no longer get to the photos. Will post photos when I get them.

That's a bit under $20 per tool so that's not too bad of a price. If you do a lot of carving you'll probably purchase more of them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You can look them up on Tools for working wood and compare to what they sell for new.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I just purchases 22 AI full size carving tools for $426. All look to be new or nearly new. Several fishtails, skews, v-chisels, gouges, and more. Did I do OK on the price? I haven't received them yet and the seller pulled the posting so I can no longer get to the photos. Will post photos when I get them.
    In my experience, used tools typically go for about 1/2 new price, so I would say you did OK. The problem, I've found, with purchasing used tools often lies more with the previous owner(s) and their ability to sharpen them, care/store them, etc. Almost all of them need to be properly sharpened when I get them, and sometimes one finds a tool that will not hold an edge due to being annealed (blued). Only you will be able to assess their true value once you get them, sharpen them, and use them. Good luck and happy carving.
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Here is a not-so-great photo of them. The first 3 at the top are not Ashley Iles. Actually there are 23 AI plus 3 others. Those are included in the purchase also. Most look new as far as I can tell. Pricing ranges from about $35 to $65 each for these new. So if they truly are new or nearly new with no bluing, I think I did OK.

AI tools.JPG

Received the tools a few days ago. All but one are brand new, never sharpened. Mostly spotless steel. A couple have split brass ferrules, but none are loose. One tool was quite dark with tarnish (not rust) with a darkened handle. Photos below. I cleaned up the darkened tool a bit and tried it out. I think its a grounding tool because the corners are not sharp and it only cuts from the center. Is that what it is? Set includes 3 size in 3, 5, and 7 gouges. A couple 9 gouges, and one 11 gouge. There are two skews, two 1's, a dovetail, several veining tools, and one swept back bent gouge. The Pfeil in the photo is one I had already.

IMG_1700.jpgIMG_1701.jpgIMG_1702.jpgIMG_1707.jpg
    Last edited by tom lucas; 09-16-2019 at 8:38 PM.

Nice Tom. Looks like a good deal. I like the tool holders too. May copy that idea.

Greg,
    Tool holder idea I found on the web. They incorporate a french cleat so they can be hung on the wall when not using. Notice there are slide-in boxes for sharpening stones, etc. behind the bottom row of tools.